10 replies to this topic

#1 Lucy-lou123

Lucy-lou123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi guys quick question

I've been given a female tort (my male seems sure she is a she) Shea been quarantined and everything but they are mating already.
She is 2 and he is 3 so I know they are not mature enough yet but does that mean that my male can't produce sperm so she won't get pregnant or that they shouldn't even be mating?
It is the 1st day so if it carries on I will separate them

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

It looks like they're battling to see who's top dog! If the male has been in his enclosure on his own he'll do this to any tortoise invading his territory.... whether it be male or female, just to let them know who's boss.

Keep an eye on them and if the new tortoise seems to get stressed by it then separate them. They may just need time to settle in together.

#3 Lucy-lou123

Lucy-lou123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hi Kelly,

Thank you :-) I've spoken to my other half who T home with them ans apparently he's done it a couple of time tonight but bot actually got his Willy out. So I'm thinking your right

If he does manage to mate with her are they to young for anything to happen?

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would have thought so, but it's dependent upon size rather than age. Tortoises that have grown at a fast rate tend to reach sexual maturity quicker than those who have been grown more slowly and evenly.

In captivity it is not uncommon for 3-4 year olds to mate successfully. :o:

I have a 3 year old male..... who I know is definitely male as he has flashed his bits in the bath!! :rofl: .
He was HUGE when I got him at 2 years old (105mm) and had the first signs of pyramiding, because he's been kept in the wrong conditions before I got him. :(

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

You say he is 3, how big is he (weight in grams). A 3 year old male should be too small to display genuine mating behaviour. Quarantine should have been 12 months. If your tortoises have grown big enough to reproduce in this short time, it's important to see that the females shell is well formed or there could be problems passing eggs.

#6 Lucy-lou123

Lucy-lou123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

This female is still under micro chippingsize of 100mm if I remember rightly of the top of my head? I'd say roughly 85mm But the male is bigger he's probably about 120mm at a guess.
I'm not worried about them mating really just that she's going to be to small to carry eggs properly? And is he going to leave her alone if it's not a dominance thing or will he just go at it constantly?

#7 Lucy-lou123

Lucy-lou123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Quarantine has been about 16 months. I don't have my weight book on me to hand x

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

At 120mm I'd say there's a good chance that he's sexually mature and no, he probably won't leave her alone.

Athough she probably won't be old enough to produce eggs yet, she wiil get stressed from all the unwanted attention. Keep a close eye on them. You may need to separate them.x

#9 Lucy-lou123

Lucy-lou123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Ha oh god. Lol thank you. I will keep an eye out and if he hasn't calmed down by Tuesday I'll get another setup for her
Thank you again :-)

#10 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Personally I'd get another set up anyway. Most females aren't ready for breeding until they are at least 8-10 years old, dependent upon their size. x

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

At 120mm I'd say there's a good chance that he's sexually mature and no, he probably won't leave her alone.

Athough she probably won't be old enough to produce eggs yet, she wiil get stressed from all the unwanted attention. Keep a close eye on them. You may need to separate them.x

I agree, they need to be separated ASAP. A male and female tortoise should never be kept together once old enough to sex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users