• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi all, This will be my first year of hibernation with my tort. He is now 3 and a half and i have heard of two ways to hibernate my little pal. One being the fridge method and one being in a bi full soil. Which would be the best suited?? Also when should i start the hibernation and for how long with him still being little. Is there any good advice books out there as the one i have is very basic advice on what to do with all aspects of tort life. Thanks Durb and Ya'ma.

#2 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Post should read bin full of soil.

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hi Durb and Ya'ma,
It is usually recommended when hibernating a tortoise for the first time to do so for an 8 week period. Here is a link you may find useful http://www.thetortoi...bernation04.htm.
Hope it helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

:thumbup: Excellent link, Freddy.

I've saved it ready for when it's Norman's time to wind down, as this winter will be his first hibernation. It's a great step by step guide that will take all the stress out of the procedure. :)

#5 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Kelly without Norman???? :unsure2:

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

I know. :cry: I won't know what to do with myself while he's having the big sleep. I'll certainly miss the little fella.

#7 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hello
I have used the fridge method was okay until i had a power cut,now use there outside house,Dawn's hibernation diary is also a good guide to follow which is in the hibernation section,it does get easier each year the first year i was a nervous wreck.
jaynex

#8 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guy's.. appologies for the late reply. U've all been a great help as always when i pop up a post. Thanks for the link Freddy am now going to do a little swatting up, and also have a liitke look at Dawn s hibernation diary thanks Jayne. Am feeling a little nervous with it being my little chaps first big sleep but am sure we will be finbe with all the help and advice u can get on here. Thanks again peeps :drinks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users