All Systems Go :)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

You've missed only one thing...jumping in the fridge with him lol :P

I dont hibernate myself, but this is excellent planning on yr part.

I need to plan..... I'm a virgo! :rofl: Plus I have an awful memory, so if everything I need to do is on the same document, I know I won't forget anything. ;)

#22 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I can't do it here Kelly, temps here are still going up to 28C and indoors its 26C...I would need to switch on the a/c on cool to start winding mine down.

#23 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Your winter temps don't drop much below 10oc during the day and 0oc at night do they? How long does your 'cold spell' last? ...... If you can call it that. :lol:

#24 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Not much of cold spells here, lowest avarage is 10C in Feb (still with an avarage high of 16C). Torts that are kept outside over the winter in Malta will sleep the odd week during a cold/rainy spell and are out again basking when the sun shines...no wind downs, no fridges.

Mine is kept all cosy in her new table ;)

#25 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

At least when she gets big enough to go outdoors full time, you won't have the worry of whether or not the temps will drop below that all important freezing point! She'll be able to hibernate 'au natural' outside like they do in the wild. :)

#26 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Unfortunately...i don't have a garden :( so until i have one (probably never) she'll have to make do with her table...she still spends the summer fulltime outside in my yard tho.

#27 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hi Kelly,
I must say your hibernation plan is meticulous. I can't find any fault with it. It should stand as a perfect example to others of how to properly plan a first time hibernation. Well done. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#28 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thanks, Freddy. :thumbup:

It's good to hear I'm on the right lines and all my research has paid off. :)

I may post a week by week diary on here with Chris, stating what we're doing ..... We're starting the wind down at the same time, so others with juvenile torts may be able to get some help if they need it too.

#29 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I may post a week by week diary on here with Chris, stating what we're doing ..... We're starting the wind down at the same time, so others with juvenile torts may be able to get some help if they need it too.

Sounds like a great idea, Kelly. :) Best of luck ;)

#30 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Posted Image
I've just weighed Norman and (after a poo) he weighs 276g!! What a chubbalub! Posted Image

At least I know he can afford to lose a few grams during the wind down period.

Hazel on the other hand was 18g when I got her and over the past few weeks she dropped a gram or two here and there and put on a gram or two here and there..... only to end up as exactly the same weight 3 weeks later! It just goes to show how much difference a poo and a wee makes when they're that tiny. I hope she doesn't end up as greedy as Norman..... I can see he's going to have to watch his figure!!! :rofl:

#31 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi Kelly,
Pooing and weeing can make a big difference. The important thing is that Hazel is not losing weight overall. They both sound like characters.You're doing a great job with them. :) Take care. ;)
Kind Regards

#32 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

I don't think she is, Freddy. She was 18g when I got her, but after a poo the next day she dropped to 16g. This week she's been pigging out and went up to 20g yesterday, but after doing the biggest poo that I've ever seen she dropped back again! :rofl:

Like you say, so long as she's not losing anything, I think she'll be fine. I've been monitoring weights after she's emptied out just to get a good indication of what she actually weighed to start with. She's got another week to her actual monthly weigh in..... I reckon I'm looking at a 1-2g gain overall. :thumbup:

#33 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Wow Kelly, Your planning is excellent. Can i borrow for my two little hermanns? Ive never hibernated before and will be using the fridge method. As they are two I am planning to start two weeks after you and keep them in for 8 weeks.How old is Norman?

Denise

#34 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Yes. No problem. :)

He's three and it'll be his first hibernation. ;)

#35 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thank you.:-)

#36 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm planning for 8 weeks too.... but if his weight look good I may extend to 10 weeks. x

#37 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

i think this is a good idea kelly it will help alot of members new to hibernating :thumbup:

#38 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi Kelly

Puzzle and jigsaw are 3 years old, and this will be my first year hibernating them. Your plan is so clear and straight forward, I hope you don't mind, but I will be following it for my two! I have just started today.

I now have the fridge organised, and it should arrive later this week. In the meantime I need to sort out the boxes for each of them. They are currently 10 and 11 centimetres long, so how big do you think the box should be? I plan to put a mix of 50/50 soil and sand. Should they have lots of space around them or just a few centimetres?

Anne x

#39 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

No problem. :) The box I'm using is just big enough that he could turn around easily. x

#40 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hello Kelly
sounds like you are all organized,i'm on week 2 of wind down i use Dawn's hibernation diary every year but never managed to reach the full four week wind down i have only managed three weeks at the most as my torts tell me when they are ready as they stay in there outside house,all the best Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users