• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

I was wondering if my tortoise will a: get used to my voice , do they hear very well or b: recognise me I know they are tiny and cannot have very big brains but do they get used to us I.e. will he ever fetch a ball
? Not really just joking but, I thin my new tortoise likes me or am I just getting used to him and imagining it? New by tortie owner!!

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi Nicky,
Tortoises have poor eyesight but are able to distinguish between certain shapes and colors and some movement. Although they have ears these are covered by folds of skin but they can still detect sound vibrations.However, tortoises have an excellent sense of smell and use this primarily to decide what foods are safe or not to eat. I'm sure they also know who there owners are by this sense of smell! lol :lol:
Hope this helps. :) Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#3 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Oh, poor thing doesn't seem to have a lot going for him then does he. So, what are you trying to say he' ll never call my name or jump up to me! Lol. Will He get to know me though?
Nicky

#4 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi Nicky, I am sure our tortoise recognises me, whether it is by smell or not, I do not know. :o: He shows no sign of being timid, nor does he put his head in when I approach him, with visitors to the house, he is not so bold.

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

Tortoises don't hear the same as we do. They tend to pick up vibrations as opposed to the sound that we hear. I have a blind one that picks up on high pitches and comes running if I call her in a silly high pitched voice, but ignores lower tones, keeps the neighbours amused though :)
Eyesight is excellent so long as they have not been sight damaged by too cold hibernation temps etc (and many UK torts have). My two boys can spot a female lumbering across the garden at 40ft with no problem bless them, unfortunately for her usually lol

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Sorry Guys! You are correct most tortoises do have good eyesight. My tortoise just doesn't due to cataracts. I stand corrected.
Apologies. :blush:
Freddy

#7 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, there is hope for me and little Sheldon yet thenxx

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Sorry Guys! You are correct most tortoises do have good eyesight. My tortoise just doesn't due to cataracts. I stand corrected.
Apologies. :blush:
Freddy

Oh bless him Freddy. He's not the only one by a long shot. Some of mine are air biters, shortly after hibernation and I have thought similar about them at times, but it seems to be a spring thing, maybe it takes their brains a while to get into gear - I know that feeling well lol I have thought about torty blinkers for my two naughty boys, I'm sure the girls would be thrilled lol

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

ha!ha! :lol: Nice one Sue. Blinkers do sound funny!lol :lol:
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

Well I do make dog collars, so shouldn't be too difficult :D

#11 leahcevans

leahcevans

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I am 24 and have a male herman tortoise called Jay :)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

I thought mine recognized me, he comes running up to me if i put my fingers in but then my boyfriend did it and he ran to him too :( i was gutted! x

#12 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

And then of course, there is the food that we carry... :)

Paula x

#13 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

A couple of mine come running when they see feet in their enclosure. I like to think they like me but I am sure it is a food thing. X. X hugs x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users