9 replies to this topic

#1 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hey Everyone
I have noticed Harry is eating his food but not much over the last few days and I'm just wondering if this is O.k, or am I just being silly and worrying over nothing.
Any advice would be great

Thanks
Mel, Steve and Harry
x x

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Don't worry too much.... it's totally normal for them to slow down and eat less at this time of year when the temperatures are dropping and the days are getting shorter. x

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

hi mel have you checked the temperature in your table as this will effect how hes eating etc.
or try feeding him after you,ve give him a bath.
have you had any thoughts about hibernating him this year.
horsfields do better been hibernated its quite hard to keep them going through winter.
if you want to over winter try and keep the temps good in his table with plenty of light :)

#4 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

My group are only eating approximately half of what they used to. Their temperatures are controlled, they have all the correct lighting but right now everyone is getting up much later, eating less and then heading off to bed. They know it's coming!! :)

Paula x

#5 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi everyone
I have checked Harry's temps and they seem good, Harry seems happy in himself and still enjoys his baths and mostly always does a poo and his urates at least once every 7-10 days. We wasn't going to put Harry down for the big sleep as we have only had him 3 months and we want his weight to be good and also to make sure he is strong enough. Has anyone got any ideas what I can do to make him eat more.

Thanks
Mel, Steve and Harry
xx

#6 Junior

Junior

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

How old is harry?

#7 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

The year I had to over winter Hettie my vet advised that I increase the UV lamp to 14 hours to try and 'trick' her into believing it was summer.. I am not convinced she was actually 'conned' but it might be worth a go?
Do you offer food immediately after a bath? That is when Hettie was most likely to eat at that time.
One other thing you could try is to add a reptiglo 2 UV tube, the light it offers is at a different part of the spectrum and the light levels are increased. This may aid activity? The actual UV is not sufficient on it's own and so should be used alongside your existing UV lamp.
I use both a reptiglo 10 and a reptiglo 2 on my table. The reptiglo 2 comes on half an hour earlier at the start of the day, then in addition the reptiglo 10 and heat come on, this is reversed at the end of the day.

Paula x

#8 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

I normally feed Harry before I go work and bath him in the evening as I work until 6 every day, should I change this and Bath him in the morning. I was thinking I will up his baths to every day during the winter is this a good idea and I will look into getting the extra light for the winter. Harry is 2 in December.

Thanks
Mel and Harry

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

I always bath my 3 year old every morning after he wakes up. It just seems a nice way for him to ease into the day! :rofl: He happily sits in there for 20 minutes while I have my breakfast, then I dry him off and give him his food.

I find that when I bath him in the evening, he's too lively and warm to sit and relax in there for very long. Plus bathing him in the morning seems to stimulate his appetite too. :)

#10 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hey Kelly
I have been bathing Harry in the morning all week and its seems to work better and he is eating a bit more then he was and he seems happy to stay in there longer as well so thanks for the advice. Hopefully this will help with keeping him up over the winter!!!!!!
Thanks again
Mel and Harry xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users