• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hello :) I have a 2 year old Hermanns tortoise called Collin,I have had him from march and now realising no amount of research prepares you as every website I go on tells me different things.At first he was in a vivarium but soon realised it was less than good for him so we built a tortoise table ( 2mtres long and a metre wide) we have a uv tube suprended by a bracket wich is on for 12 hours alday and a basking light wich has a thermostat attached and we turn it down at night.could someone please tell me if we're doing the right thing as now the cold weather is drawing in I want to do my best to make sure he's ok.should I get a heat mat?he has got outside space aswell when it's warm weather,when it's cold he just hides and dosnt eat so I only take him out in dry,warm weather.any help would be much appreciated :) Ashleigh

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

hi ashleigh welcome to the forum :)
no dont get a heat mat there no good for tortoises the heat needs to come from above as you have it.
he wont need any heat at night when kept indoors :)

#3 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Oh thankyou.and also do you know of he will hibernate with the environment he is in?and as for coverage we were thinking of making a cover just over the heated part of the table just for bitter winter nights?do you suggest no heat at all at night or just a lower watt bulb?sorry ram raid you with questions,there tricky little things to look after :)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

hi ask as many questions as you need to theres always someone on to help.
if you are not wanting to hibernate him then you just keep the lights on as you have now, they still slow down a little.
you wont need to put any sort of cover over.
some people use ceramic bulbs on a thermostate for colder nights but ive never give extra heat :)

#5 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Thankyou :) yes think I'll get one of those just to put my mind at rest.somedays he's really active then other days hes rather slow and loses appetite,there's always fresh food for him and he has cuttlefish fish and a salad topper also a calci dust and a warm bath twice a week as I heard that helps.his tables full of rocks,logs ,stones and it has a desert back ground ( wich he spent days trying to climbe the rocks on the picture :) ) he has half his table with reptile sand and half staw pellets,do you recommend anything else for either his table or bedding I use?

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

yes i would take out the sand and the pellets and change it to topsoil which you can get at b&q this will be alot better for him, you wont need any thing else in the bedding area just soil :)
when the soil starts to dry its best to water it.
limestone flours a good calcium powder to use, also do you use any vit powder nekton msa is a good one or nutrobal given on different days to the calcium.
do you feed him a weed diet :)

#7 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi Karen,I generally sprinkle a bit of calci dust on one meal per day and yes a vit on everymeal?I didn't know I had to alternate it though so thanks.when I had him we bought a salad topper but I ran out so now I'm using somthing that a person at a reptile shop advised,but as iv seen on here those sorts of places often dish out wrong advice so I thought be best to make sure.i will get what you have advised.how deep do you advise the top soil?x

#8 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

A weed diet?he has dandilions and when it's walm enough for him to go out he eats weeds from the garden although I'm always a little scared he will eat somthing he's not ment to.ither than that he has lettuce ( not iceburg) cucumber,tomato ,apple(but only in small doses but he loves apple) x

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

hi quite a few inchs of soil but not to high that he can get out of the table.
a weed and flower/plant diet is the best thing for him no fruit or veg and only a little lettuce when theres not many weeds about, have a look on here it tells you all the things you can feed and the ones to avoid http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

#10 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Ohhh right I got told his diet shout be of veg and salad and a tiny bit of fruit :( I'm a florist so
Flowers and plants arnt to hard it's just weeds,especially this time of year.but thankyou for the link
And I'll have a good look through.what will this change of diet do for him?x

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

hi with the correct diet of weeds he,ll be more healthy,and the more variety of plants the better :)

#12 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Ok thankyou for your help x

#13 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hi Ash-leigh, :welcome: Karen has given some great advice there, :) the only substrate should be sterilised top soil from B & Q or Wickes.

Most people have their UV and warming lamp on a timer for 12 hours a day. Tortoise like to regulate their own temps, so need to be able to dig, hide, bask etc to make their bodies the temperature they feel they need. Unless your home is exceptionally cold at night,you should not need any heat or light.

Completely stop all fruit & vegetables and keep to tortoise edible weeds and flowers. Be careful of cultivated flowers that might have treated with chemicals. Also make sure that you don't overfeed, which will result in a lumpy deformed shell. Enough food so that he can eat it all in 20 mins once a day will be enough. There is lots of plantain and dandelions amongst other weeds about at this time of year. I need go no further than my back garden for either of them :rolleyes:

#14 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hi chrissyan.thankyou iv been on a hunt tonight and found some dandelion leaves and in bought an African violet,the website said that that's ok.however he has turned his nose up at it :( do I just keep perseriering with it?his shell is beautiful and shiny and he's generally very active ( I can hear the tv over him climbing and rustling around ) but he does have quiet days when he sleeps a lot and of we're lucky enough to have some nice weather he loves pottering about outside.is my tortoise table enough?i don't like him being lose in the house as he's tiny and he hides in places I can't reach :-/ but like I said he has got outside room too.thanks any further advice much appreciated :)

#15 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Plus,I have plenty of weeds in the garden but how do I know if there poisness?i know the website is good but some of them I don't recognise and not sure If the ones I have in my garden are ok.

#16 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hello
take some pictures of the weeds in your garden and post them on here and hopefully some one will be able to help you.
Jaynex

#17 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Ash-Leigh, if don't mind my saying, it's not a good idea to feed your torts with shop flowers;
Quote:
"Flowers from florists (or supermarkets) tend to have much heavier concentrations of toxic pesticides and we would recommend avoiding these completely." (ref: The Tortoisetrust).
Naturally growing weeds are the best, and even at this time of year, there are still enough dandelions, plantain and others growing in the parks and fields. Also, our torts are slowing down their eating now, so finding sufficient quantities shouldn't really be a problem. The best long-term solution is to grow your own weeds; they're really easy, and you'll be safe in the knowledge that they are fresh and free of any chemicals. A whole host of safe, edible plants is available at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk, and there are many online shops on eBay who can supply the seeds.
Hope this is of some help.
Graham

#18 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thankyou Jayne and graham.i won't be bringing back any flowers back home 🌸 :) Is the African violet I bought ok though?i feel so silly asking but I'd rather feel silly and ask than hurt the little fella :( x

#19 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi, Ash-leigh,
According to the Tortoise Table, African Violet is fine.
Have a peek at this link:
http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=396

Incidentally, there's nothing at all silly about asking questions, that's how we learn; and we all want the best for our beloved shelled pets.

#20 Ash-leigh

Ash-leigh

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thankyou Jayne and graham.i won't be bringing back any flowers back home 🌸 :) Is the African violet I bought ok though?i feel so silly asking but I'd rather feel silly and ask than hurt the little fella :( x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users