• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi, everyone,
I’ve been preparing the fridge these last couple of weeks in readiness for Harry’s hibernation, and have come across a bit of an issue that I’d like to raise; perhaps someone could comment or advise:
Using two digital thermometers, I suspended the probe of one so that I could read the temperature of the air in the hibernation box immediately above the substrate, and the other probe, I put into the substrate itself, about one inch down.
After a couple of days, I was surprised to see that the temperature of the substrate was consistently about 3° lower than that of the air above. Therefore, would I be correct in saying that when regulating the fridge temperature, we should aim to attain the optimum temperature of the substrate rather than the air itself?
I did check these temps using different thermometers, but the result was always the same.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Graham

#2 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Oooh that's a tricky one! :)

I think as the temerature has to be low single figures (I aim for 4C) you might be able to get this mid point anyway? I fill any spaces in my fridge with plastic bottles of water. This helps to stabilise the fluctuating temps?

Paula x

#3 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hello Graham
I always try and put the probe to where they settle in the soil as i hibernate my torts outside in there tort house,the temps at the top part of the house are always warmer,i always go from the temps at the ground level where they are.
Jayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users