7 replies to this topic

#1 discuskeeper

discuskeeper

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

hello,

just thought i would introduce myself and my tortoise shelly (very original). i just come across this site as i was checking on what food i can feed him. yes he is a he called shelly, we thought we had a female to one day i was passing him and he was stretched up high on all fours with a massive ummm.... well you know what i mean sticking out from under him. Anyway i've had him from a very young he hatched in 2008 according to his certificate and we've had him since he could easily fit in the parlm of your hand. We've been feeding him crispy salad since we've had him, we try him on weedsbut he's just not interested, well we only try him on dandylions as the garden id full of them, we used to give him a cherry tomatoe as a treat a coupe of times a month but i will be stopping that after reading through this website. the crispy salad contains frisee, lambs lettuce and radicchio, basically this is all he's ate his whole life, except from when he ate a worm in the garden. I just want to know if i've been doing him any harm with this diet and how to convert him onto weeds? he lives in a four foot table top and goes out in the garden when we're out there. he also eats the soil from the flower beds

Attached File  2012-02-22 19.49.40.jpg   1.53MB   28 downloads

Attached File  2012-02-22 19.49.08.jpg   1.48MB   28 downloads

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

:welcomecrowd: to the forum discuskeeper. Shelly looks to be a great little chap. :)

Those salad ingredients are fine for the odd meal, but not for his main diet. He will get lots more roughage from weeds. He won't starve himself if you remove the salad and swap to weeds, if he sulks for a while, then let him. ;) Torts don't always eat everyday in the wild, he will come to no harm. If you want to encourage him you could try squeezing cucumber juice on his weeds. If you have dandelions in your garden then I expect, like me, you will have other tort friendly feeds too like plantain, ours is growing in the middle of our lawn. :rolleyes: It's just a question of knowing what you are looking for. This is a great booklet to download: http://www.thetortoi..._booklet_40.asp

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

hi welcome to the forum :)
shellys lovely.
have you tried mixing weeds with a little bit of lettuce, also try adding some flowers like pansy, viola and even the flower off the dandelions :)
just keep giving him weeds every day he,ll come round
do you use any supplements with his food like nutrobal :)

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi There,
Welcome to the forum. :) Glad you found us. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. :happy: You will get plenty of great advice here. Look forward to hearing more about your wonderful tort Shelly. :wub: Hope you enjoy your stay. Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum
Shelly look's a lovely tort,how does he get on with the cat?like Freddy says we are a friendly bunch.
Jaynex :)

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Welcome to this friendly forum, you will certainly get good advice here. When I have rehomed torts who have never eaten weeds I do as suggested, mix some weeds in with the lettuce and gradually decrease the amount of lettuce. I find also they seem to enjoy young leaves..... Maybe these are sweeter and tender. My torts this year have loved evening primrose flowers. Shelley is a lovely tortoise x x x hugs x x

#7 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hi,
Shelly is a lovely tortoise :thumbup:
I had the same trouble when I first had Harry; his previous owner had fed him lettuce and tomatoes for years, so he was a bit fixed in his dietary ways.
However, he soon took a liking to the various weeds I introduced, such as plantain, dandelions, and hibiscus flowers etc. It didn't take long before the rubbish he'd been fed previously went from his memory, and he gained 200g in the first month I had him. Now he happily gorges on all the right stuff.

#8 discuskeeper

discuskeeper

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

wow thanks for all the positive response,
i do use nutrobal on his food and also have a cuttlebone in there for him which sometimes i scrape my nail across over his food to dust it with calcium, don't know if i should be doing that but only do it once a week or so. Watching him and jasper (the cat) is rather funny, jasper will lay down in front of him than shelly will try get as close as possible really slowly till jasper gets scared and funs away, then shelly will follow him everwhere. i feel quite safe to leave them two together in the room for a few minutes while i go make a cup of tea or something, but i've built a lid out of chicken wire mesh stuff for his tort table to keep jasper out while we're at work. have started mixing some weeds in with his food not much luck yet but will keep at it.

Thanks again everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users