5 replies to this topic

#1 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

I am a bit worried about Trevor, the last few days he seems sleepy. I have to wake him to bath him. Once he has had his bath he does eat normally but then usually sleeps on and off throughout the day. Yesterday he slept from 5pm through to 9am this morning.

His temperature under his lamp has dropped to around 30 degrees and his shade is around 20 degrees.

Is it normal for him to wind down a little as the weather gets cooler or do I need to change his basking lamp to a higher wattage?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Is there any way you can lower the lamp a little to increase the temperature beneath it?

#3 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

His lamp is on a fixed wooden bracket which is drilled to the side of his table. I do have a bigger bulb though if u think that might help?

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

You could try increasing the wattage.... or else can you raise the level of the substrate, make it into a mound or a slope up to the basking area.... :hmm:

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi, Chris,
We all seem to be experiencing this lately; our torts are becoming aware that autumn's here, and are slowing down. My Harry is doing basically the same as your Trevor; sleeping a lot more, and eating less. I think it's all part of the tortoise's natural rhythm. Other members have made similar observations and comments on this forum.

#6 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that other torts are winding down as the days get cooler.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users