• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hi I have a 5 year old hermann and I am hoping to hibernate him for the first time I used the jackson chart and he is coming up just under weight 700 grams and 152.4 long do you think I should still hibernate him.
Many thanks Jill

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi, Jill,
According to the Jackson Ratio, he's a perfectly acceptable weight for hibernation at present (0.20), but you have to take in account of any weight loss during the fasting period.
Here's a really good link for calculating the JR of your tortoise, and the recommendations should he have any weight issue.

http://www.tortoise-...uk/site/171.asp

Best wishes,

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

I go by normal weight before wind down - sounds fine to me ;) Hydration is paramount of course.

#4 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thanks everyone, Just one more thing do you think he is growing to fast for his age
Jill

#5 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hi Jill,

I have 2 THB males, they are both just over 10cm and weigh approximately 250g. They do grow at different rates.
Did you buy him from a petshop? Sometimes the imported torts licences aren't that carefully selected. :)

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users