• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mickt

mickt

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am picking up my elmo at the end of the week, cant wait wanted one for along time and having at tortoise table built by my friend whos a joiner,

I have bought all my lighting etc but unsure about the heat mat, as my pet shop advised me to have the bulbs on during the day and have the heat mat on a night. I've been reading up and says to put the mat on the wall but wondering where abouts??, i was thinking in the little covered enclosure ( 1ft x 1ft) or should i just put it outside. any advice appreciated

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

hi :welcome: to the forum.
heat mats are no good for tortoises the heat needs to come from above, some times pet shops give out the wrong advice just to make a sale.
im not 100% sure on what temps leopards need at night but hopefully someone else will be along soon to offer more help :)

#3 mickt

mickt

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

thanks for the welcome, ive been told that i need to keep the temp above 19 c at night.

Also looking to get a thermostat if anyone can recommend one.

I know what your saying about the pet shops didnt buy my gear from them has was very expensive compared to others.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

hi ive used the habistat for some years with no problems :)
thought this might help a little http://www.google.co...RDkjEUcam0DRBBw

#5 Mick.Ire

Mick.Ire

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hey congrats on your new tort.

Night time temps can vary, best to keep them between 19-22c but if it drops to 15c the odd night don't worry. Leopards are hardier than people think.
I never use heat mats for tortoises. They are useless even stuck on a wall. A good night time heat source is a ceramic bulb. No light and plenty of heat. These can cost between 20-30 pounds but last for years.
Make sure to bath him 3 times a week too. Leopards love it and will nearly always drink. Hydration is a huge factor in creating a smooth shell as leopards are very prone to pyramiding.A humid hide is a good idea too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users