• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

I am going to attach a photo of Sheldon I would appreciate comments on his shell as it is very thin around the overhang bit and there is a triangle piece chipped off I have had him 6 weeks, got him from pet shop wondered if he has had a bad time and is the shell tough enough to repair and regenerate like our nails. Am I worrying unduly he seems very happy.
I await your comments, concerned Nicky

Attached Files

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Hi Nicky,
The very thin area overhanging Sheldon's shell looks like a new area of growth. This is normal. Sometimes tortoises also have chipped shells from wear and tear. I don't think there is any need to worry. Using calcium carbonate on his food should help toughen up his shell. You could also try some cuttlefish bone. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi Nicky
As Freddie says the 'see through bit' if this is what you are looking at is normal, even in older tortoises. It is keratin which lies over the bone and is always see through at the edges if the shell is a normal shape.
Your tortoise has obviously had some sort of change in feeding/care and possibly a bit too much food, so keeping an eye on weight gain will help with future growth too ;) The lighter colour is new growth and your tortoise has around 6 times he amount of new growth to what is normal - cute tortoise though.

#4 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Oh thanks, that has made me feel better. I have had him 6 weeks and he out on 4 grams and now lost 2 but I think he is very happy, well I would be if I was him. I pick him up quite a lot and talk to him is this normal, right, mad or stupid???
What a great website for everybody who loves the tortie's.,,
P.s. till cannot find the smiley face things!!

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

When you click on you reply box and the smiley face icon, it should open up all your smilies at the bottom of the screen..... just scroll down.

If you still have problems you may need to check that there are no issues with your JavaScript.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users