6 replies to this topic

#1 ruth.e.green

ruth.e.green

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hello!!

I've had my tortoise for five years and he has been growing very well and is very happy no health problems ever! I have noticed he has broken his beak symmetrically either side of his nose. Its not causing him any trouble and is eating fine tearing up flowers and leaves just fine but the cracks in his beak have been around for about a month or 2 now! They aren't in the direction of his eyes they are sort of horizontal and haven't grown bigger since i noticed them but are not getting better either!

He has a good varied diet, full of weeds, flowers and leaves from the shops. I also give him a calcium supplement every other day with his food. He has had a cuttle fish in his enclosure but doesnt seem interested in it. he also has some slate, a couple of rocks and a big slab but he pretty much ignores them all like the cuttle fish!

Should I be worried about the cracks or just leave them to grow out?

Thanks for the help!

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi Ruth,
As long as the cracks in his beak are not near sensitive areas such as his eyes and are not affecting his ability to eat I wouldn't worry. However, it will take some time before the beak grows back. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hello!!

I've had my tortoise for five years and he has been growing very well and is very happy no health problems ever! I have noticed he has broken his beak symmetrically either side of his nose. Its not causing him any trouble and is eating fine tearing up flowers and leaves just fine but the cracks in his beak have been around for about a month or 2 now! They aren't in the direction of his eyes they are sort of horizontal and haven't grown bigger since i noticed them but are not getting better either!

He has a good varied diet, full of weeds, flowers and leaves from the shops. I also give him a calcium supplement every other day with his food. He has had a cuttle fish in his enclosure but doesnt seem interested in it. he also has some slate, a couple of rocks and a big slab but he pretty much ignores them all like the cuttle fish!

Should I be worried about the cracks or just leave them to grow out?

Thanks for the help!

Hi, Don't take this the wrong way but has it broken because it is too long, a bit like a parrots? If so, it might help to change the way you keep him. Could you put pictures up so that we can see what is going on? If he has a parrot beak then he may need it removing by half to help it to grow properly and for him to be able to eat properly. Don't cut food up, and don't feed it to him in a dish, scatter it around his enclosuer and make sure the rocks and pieces of slate are in different places for him to bite on. If you pick him weeds, then htry hanging them up so he has to climb to tear at them, this keeps the beak in good shape. Pics will def help though ;)

#4 ruth.e.green

ruth.e.green

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

Attached File  toby beak.jpg   174.22KB   36 downloads

i dont think it looks like a parrot i think it looks normal pictures were harder to take than i imagined but i hope these are ok

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hi again Ruth,
You could possibly take another bit off his beak but I don't think it would make much difference to the cracks. Any clipping could in fact make things worse. You could get a second opinion from a reptile vet should you so wish. Personally, I would leave well alone. If it is living tissue it will grow back if not it will resolve itself naturally.
Keratin which is the same substance as in our nails should grow back in time. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 ruth.e.green

ruth.e.green

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

ok i'll leave him and try the suggestion of scattering his food more and putting it on hard surfaces

thanks for the help

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

That's definitely overgrown - not excessively so, but if you think it is brittle too, then increase the calcium intake too. If he is indoors then he needs a supplement daily on food and possibly leave some limestone flour around for him in little dishes. I would definitley offer stronger foods though and never chop anything up for him, this just makes things worse - not that you do, just a note worth adding ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users