My New Addition. :)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Here's my newest addition to the family...... 12 week old Hazel. :) She's settling in nicely.

Posted Image

She looks tiny in her new table..... Good job I didn't get her a 4ft one like what Norman's got! :blink:

Posted Image

Basking. :cool:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Her new friend so she doesn't feel lonely withour her sisters! :lol:

Posted Image

..... and when she'd finished stomping round investigating everything, she soon found her snug cave for a bit of shut eye. :D

Posted Image

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

hi kelly hazels lovely :)
glad shes settled in great pictures :thumbup:

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Aww! Congratulations on your new arrival, Kelly. :happy: Hazel is gorgeous :) Best of luck with her. ;)
Freddy :D

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi Kelly, Hazel is absolutely gorgeous. Lucky you x x x hugs x x

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

Aw, very cute, how do you fancy another 40 lol?

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

40!!! :blink: I think I'll stick with two ...... for now. ;)

I think my partner's starting to worry now though..... he's got visions in his head of me ending up the mad tortoise lady, with a garden full.

Personally, I think he's only worrying, because he knows he'll be the one building all the outdoor enclosures and putting greenhouses and sheds together! :rofl:

#7 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Kelly, she's absolutely gorgeous! :D; I've a good mind to come and kidnap her ;)
Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures of her. xx

#8 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

:welcome: Hazel, your very cute, are you guessing she is a girl from the incubation period ? I have no idea what our's is so my son chose a neutral name "Munchkin" lol. It does suit him/her. In time I want to get a proper tortoise table built, yours looks fab. Did you make it yourself ? I will try and put some picture up soon xxx :cool:

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Some more pics to bore you with..... ;)

Posted Image

Warming up this morning...... even the little 'uns stretch out their back legs when basking. :happy:

Posted Image

Enjoying her bath this morning.

Posted Image

..... she even has her lttle egg tooth still. Bless her. x

Posted Image

#10 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

:welcome: Hazel, your very cute, are you guessing she is a girl from the incubation period ? I have no idea what our's is so my son chose a neutral name "Munchkin" lol. It does suit him/her. In time I want to get a proper tortoise table built, yours looks fab. Did you make it yourself ? I will try and put some picture up soon xxx :cool:

Yep..... incubated to produce females..... so fingers crossed..... however you can never be 100% certain. ;)

I bought her tortoise table from ebay.... it's just a cheap £20 value one which I'm using while she's still tiny and being quarantined. I think I'd lose her in the 4ft one. :rofl:

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Bless her. Torts are such cute little things when they are young. She is in lucky hands with you, Kelly and will have a great life. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yep..... incubated to produce females..... so fingers crossed..... however you can never be 100% certain. ;)

I bought her tortoise table from ebay.... it's just a cheap £20 value one which I'm using while she's still tiny and being quarantined. I think I'd lose her in the 4ft one. :rofl:

Why are you having to quarantine her Kelly. If she is from a trusted breeder and hasn't been in contact with other torts, then unless your original one is sick or has been, she does not need quarantine ;) The same will be the case after, 12 months, 2 years etc etc

#13 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Why are you having to quarantine her Kelly. If she is from a trusted breeder and hasn't been in contact with other torts, then unless your original one is sick or has been, she does not need quarantine ;) The same will be the case after, 12 months, 2 years etc etc

I thought all new additions were best kept apart for at least six months...... :unsure2: Yep, my tort is fit, healthy, worm free and has never shown any signs of illness or refused his grub. ;) He recently had the thumbs up from the vet too when he went for his health check. The hatchlings were all in their own enclosure, separate from her baby spurs. All were lively happy, greedy little torts. :)

I think I'll still feel happier keeping them separate until next spring though, after Norman has come out of his hibernation. By March/April, she should be a little bigger too and able to withstand his great hulking frame! :rofl:

#14 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

They're both outside at the minute.... in separate enclosures, oblivious of one another. Norman's being a wimp and hiding under the fushia becasue there's a slight nip in the air, but little Hazel is busy marching round munching on any weeds she comes across! I certainly think Norman will have a strong minded lady to contend with when they finally do meet up!! :rofl:

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

I thought all new additions were best kept apart for at least six months...... :unsure2: Yep, my tort is fit, healthy, worm free and has never shown any signs of illness or refused his grub. ;) He recently had the thumbs up from the vet too when he went for his health check. The hatchlings were all in their own enclosure, separate from her baby spurs. All were lively happy, greedy little torts. :)

I think I'll still feel happier keeping them separate until next spring though, after Norman has come out of his hibernation. By March/April, she should be a little bigger too and able to withstand his great hulking frame! :rofl:

Quarantine is only needed if one of your tortoises is from an unknown source, such as a pet shop or a rehomer which you are not certain of the background etc. Presumably both yoru torts will be the same in six months as they are now, so no quarantine needed at all, you'll be please to hear :)

#16 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Quarantine is only needed if one of your tortoises is from an unknown source, such as a pet shop or a rehomer which you are not certain of the background etc. Presumably both yoru torts will be the same in six months as they are now, so no quarantine needed at all, you'll be please to hear :)

Norman was a shop bought tortoise.... originally imported from Macedonia. Do you reckon there's any chance of him still harbouring any nasties after 12 months?

I thought that by keeping them apart I will be 100% sure that the baby won't catch anything that may be underlying. At least then in effect I will have monitored him for a full 18 months. :)

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Norman was a shop bought tortoise.... originally imported from Macedonia. Do you reckon there's any chance of him still harbouring any nasties after 12 months?

I thought that by keeping them apart I will be 100% sure that the baby won't catch anything that may be underlying. At least then in effect I will have monitored him for a full 18 months. :)

It's like anything else really, if he has herpes, cryptosporidium or any other incurable nasty, he could harbour it for many years before it shows. This will not save any future torts and can't be screened for (uness active at time of testing), as there are so many false negative likelihoods. I would certainly make sure if he was mine that he was treated for parasites incuding protozoa just as a precaution and to protect your new one, but would have done it beforehand to avoid possible cross-contamination from handling. I had a tortoise that was affected by balantidium, I found it one one of her slides. It never affected her but I had her treated regardless to protect any new ones. Many people think it is enoguh to use hand cleanser between handling, but all that does is stop spreading of bacteria, it has no effect against parasitic infections, so very important to do complete hand scrub if there is a danger of any infection.

#18 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

I would certainly make sure if he was mine that he was treated for parasites incuding protozoa just as a precaution and to protect your new one, but would have done it beforehand to avoid possible cross-contamination from handling. I had a tortoise that was affected by balantidium, I found it one one of her slides. It never affected her but I had her treated regardless to protect any new ones. Many people think it is enoguh to use hand cleanser between handling, but all that does is stop spreading of bacteria, it has no effect against parasitic infections, so very important to do complete hand scrub if there is a danger of any infection.

He was wormed earlier in the year (purely as a matter of course because he was a shop bought specimen) and when I got him tested a few weeks ago his fecal sample came back negative.

Thanks for all your advice. :)

#19 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Not being pedantic here Kelly but did they test for protozoa at all, might be worth asking them - these can be a problem with littlies, but I imagine all will be fine ;)

#20 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

I would still keep them apart anyway. As the hatchling is much smaller and could get injured by the bigger tortoise.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users