My New Addition. :)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Not being pedantic here Kelly but did they test for protozoa at all, might be worth asking them - these can be a problem with littlies, but I imagine all will be fine ;)

No idea. The herp vet just conducted a fecal float and smear. I'll ring them, and ask. :)

#22 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I would still keep them apart anyway. As the hatchling is much smaller and could get injured by the bigger tortoise.
Kind Regards
Freddy

That was my plan Freddy..... hence the two enclosures. At least now with Norman hibernating his growth should slow down and little 'un will have a chance to grow and toughen up a little before next year. :)

#23 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Kelly
she's so gorgeous,thanks for sharing. :)
Jaynex

#24 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Norman's got a girlfriend, Norman's got a girlfriend.... :rofl:

#25 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

Not yet he hasn't. ;)
He'll have to wait to meet his new companion until next year. Who knows, he may turn out to have a boyfriend instead! :rofl:

#26 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Well.... she certainly has a good appetite.... which can't be bad! ;)

She only had a couple of nibbles of dandelion and pre alpin yesterday, but tonight, she's had a few nibbles off everything I offered to her. :)

So far it's the thumbs up for dandelion, broadleaf and ribwort plantain, shepherds purse, sow thistle and she LOVED the little piece of clover I gave her. She wasn't too impressed by chickweed though.... she spat it out and walked off in a huff! :rofl:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

What a little piglet, I see you will have to be watching her waistline. ;) Seriously though it shows she has settled in to her new home well.

#28 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

What a little piglet, I see you will have to be watching her waistline. ;) Seriously though it shows she has settled in to her new home well.

People are always amazed at how quickly home bred ones settle. Just makes you wonder what has happened to all those pet shop ones before they go to their new homes :(

#29 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

People are always amazed at how quickly home bred ones settle. Just makes you wonder what has happened to all those pet shop ones before they go to their new homes :(

The poor little mites have probably been shipped about that much in their short lives, it's no wonder they seem a little confused. :(

I think I must have struck lucky with Norman. He settled immediately and ate within minutes. He was probably eternally grateful to be out of the tiny, hot, dry vivarium he was crammed into. :(

#30 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

LOL, a bit like our rescue dogs, they are just so grateful to be cared for, bless them.

#31 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Congratulations on the arrival of Hazel, she is gorgeous. Fab pictures, I love the green tongue pic and the one where she has her beeeautiful wrinkly leg outstretched on the slate pic. :)

Paula x

#32 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

I think it's safe to say that Hazel likes vetch! :rofl:

Posted Image

I've got a feeling this is her way of saying she's had enough for one day! :happy:

Posted Image

#33 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

I love.... No LOVE..... Hazel... She is more gorgeous than gorgeous!!!!!! X x x hugs x x

#34 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

I think it must have been warm last night

Posted Image Posted Image

#35 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Aww! Bless the little mite.

#36 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Aw, isn't she lovely?! I love her shell markings. What a beautiful little tort :happy:

#37 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

The bittercress I fed Hazel today was a hit too. :thumbup: Looks like there's not alot that this little madam won't eat, which is good. :)

#38 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

its good kelly that hazels eating all these different weeds it gives her a good varied diet :)
all my hermanns are the same they,ll eat any thing which is good ;)

#39 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Kelly, Do you grow your own weeds ??? You seem to know all the names, maybe this is something I will grasp in time. We are just feeding weeds from outside, mainly dandelion and clover leaves. Hoping this is ok, Our £40 bulb has blown after a month so were a little gutted, we have not just brought a basking spotlife and will connect up a UV strip tomorrow. Think it will work out more cost effective as will just have to replace either the UV light or basking light rather than an expensive bulb each time..... The UV part still works but no good without the light. It is very hard to get a guarantee on bulbs (as we found out today).

#40 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

I throw a few tortoise friendly weeds seeds into my outdoor enclosure, so there's always stuff growing in there for Norman to graze on, but I tend to go out on a weed walk with my dog a few times a week. I then keep them in the fridge in an airtight container and they keep for 3-4 days. I did try growing them on my window sill last winter, but they're never as good as what you can find growing naturally. I never had any trouble overwintering Norman last year and found enough weeks to keep him going right up until spring. :)

I've gradually built up what I can identify by using wild flower books, Google images and The Tortoise Table http://www.thetortoi...oise_home_1.asp. It's a gradual process... but before you know it you'll be a weed expert and will be confident at recognising loads;)

Have a look at this thread..... It's all the different weeds I've build up over time.... all of which form part of my tortoises day to day diet now. :)

http://www.hermann-t...l=&fromsearch=1 x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users