• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

what month should I start to pre hibernate my Hermann, this is my first time any help pls
Jill

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hi Jill,
For a first time hibernation it is recommended you hibernate a tortoise for a minimum of 8 weeks. It is best to do this during the colder months of December and January. You will need to keep your tortoise going until then with plenty of heat and light.
Here is an excellent guide to hibernation which you may find useful:

http://www.thetortoi...bernation04.htm

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Freddy he is outside at the moment he has his own house which has a heat and light in it he is still sitting under lamp but seems to be eating less, so do you think I should bring him in doors until december then start pre hibernation.

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hi again Jill,
Yes. I would bring him indoors and keep him in a suitable enclosure with plenty of heat and light until wind- down in December. If he is losing little weight during hibernation and everything seems fine you can extend the 8 week period by another 2 weeks. Hope this helps. Take care.
Freddy

#5 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thanks I will do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users