Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hi chaps,

I could do with a bit of hibernation advice please.

I planned for the torts to go into fridge hibernation mid Dec as they did last year.

They seem to have different ideas!Every morning I go into their heated greenhouse and shed and have to dig the majority up. If I don't dig them up they don't get up.

I pop them under the lamps for a short while, bath them and offer food. Increasingly they are ignoring their food and within around 15 mins they are digging themselves back down.

I am confused though, they have reptiglo UV 10 strip bulbs plus reptiglo 2 for additional light, the basking spots are as they should be, the background temps are 22C in the day and 15C at night.

They are starting to loose a little weight but it is still a month before I intended to start wind down. I have thought about leaving them to it but they haven't had the recommended wind down?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Paula x

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi Paula,
To be honest I don't think you're going to be able to keep them going much longer. I would start their 4 week wind-down now and plan for a 3 1/2 month hibernation. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Freddy,

I just wonder how they can wind down when buried and the temperatures of below soil not being high enough for their digestive systems to work properly and empty their guts?

Paula x

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

I'm afraid you will just have to keep digging them up so they get the benefit of the heat and light you are providing. Once they have emptied their gut all should be fine. ;)

#5 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Freddy, will have to have a word with the girls and tell them to sit still for longer than the 15 mins they have been doing! Lol! Aw they're no trouble!! :D

Paula x

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

ha!ha! Nice one Paula. If it helps any 'Billiejo' can usuallly empty her gut at temps of around 15C. This usually happens in the third week of wind-down! ;)
Freddy :D

#7 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

I shall have a lovely time watching and waiting then Freddy! Thanks for your help. :)

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users