• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hi guys can I ask for some advice please. I plan to hibernate Puzzle and Jigsaw from December using the fridge method. I have a fridge freezer down the shed, but having read that they are susceptible to the weather, I think I will be better buying a fridge to fit in my very cramped box room/home office. I guess I
Should avoid glass door bottle chiller fridges, but I don't know - if that makes sense! 😳 I have also looked at two brands with proper doors, Caldura, 30 and 40 litre models, which seem to have a digital thermostat and are frost free. Will they be big enough. The other brand is Klarstein 48 litres and everest 40 litres,. They are all on amazon, and I don't want to buy some that is just not suitable. Thanks
Anne😏

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

The temperatures in the mini drinks chillers often fluctuate and I've heard that many keepers struggle to maintain the temperatures in them without a great deal of hard work! Some keepers have used them sucessfully, but they have had to adapt them.

Your best bet is a simple larder fridge.... without the freezer compartment at the top. x

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I agree ;) If in doubt about the small fridges, just contact the manufacturers who will tell you if they are rated for food or not. If not, then avoid as they may freeze :(

#4 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the advice, I am not so sure about a drinks fridge now, I think I will see if I can squish things up a bit to make room for a larder fridge��. I am not sure I am prepared for the worry of trying to make sure the temps are stable every 5 minutes! I know what I am like�� Anne x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users