• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jenni83

jenni83

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I have had my tort since June and love him to bits, I thought I was doing all the right things, light, heat, environment and food. But Tort has gone from 60g to 110g in this time, I feed him 2/3 times a day on clover, dandilion leaves, kale, cabbage and cue.

Also I didnt think I should hibinate him ( he is 2 years old) while reading up on this I have become confused and lost conifdence to look after him

please can I have some difinative advice to restore my faith in myself and give the best care to my Tort

Many thanks in advance

Jenni 83

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hello Jenni... It is good to know you want to do your best for your tort and agree there can be some conflicting advice which leaves us wondering what is actually the best advice

I would suggest you look at past posts... Hibernation in particular, for great advice. I have always hibernated my Hermanns torts but they have been older than yours, though understand from reading about others experience they should be hibernated from the first year they have been hatched.

Mine now hibernate outside naturally so hopefully someone will come along to help you with fridge/box method.

I would stick to a totally weed diet, cabbage/kale should be avoided. X x. Hugs

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

i would stick to a totally weed diet, cabbage/kale should be avoided. X x. Hugs

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

It's very easly to overfeed tortoises. They can be little piggies in captivity when they're kept in optimum temperatures all the time! Try feeding a small amount once or twice a day..... all he can eat in 10-15 minutes per sitting should be sufficient. :)

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hi Jenni,
Welcome to the forum.
It is indeed advisable to hibernate a tortoise if he is healthy and a good weight. However, as you have only had him since June and are new to tortoise keeping I would leave it until next year when you know him better and are a little more confident. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

I would agree with what has been said, but remember that frequent weighings are a must ti catch any overgrowth and that he can only gain too much weight if fed too much, so the key is in yoru own hand so to speak. If not hibernating, then try to feed just enough to keep his weight stable or at most, just a tiny increase over winter. Scattering his food, tying it just in reach etc, will make life more like he would have in the wild, with having to search actively for his food and therefore, not leading to weight gain. It's a bit like people, if we do more exercise, we will not gain so much weight ;)

#7 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hi Jenny I got puzzle and jigsaw last year when they were two, rightly or not, my vet advised me not to hibernate them their first year. They did very well over winter and the summer. I now plan to hibernate them this year using the fridge method, our 4 week count down will start the beginning of November. The other bonus, was that I had longer with the little guys, as Freddy said, getting to know them. �� Anne

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hi Anne
The four week winddown is for adult tortoises. Small ones don't take this long to empty so you must not exceed three weeks for your little one.
Hope this helps

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hi Anne,
As Sue says a 3 week wind-down is time enough for smaller, juvenile torts. :) Best of luck. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#10 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Hi guys thanks for the advice, I hadn't realised that! Is there anything else I should take into consideration? I had planned to to use the fridge method, and put them in separate boxes with a mix 50/50 of top soil and sand. Is this ok? Once they go in the fridge obviously I will be checking them frequently and weighing them once a week, but does this wake them up? How will I know if they are still ok to be left hibernating? What are the signs I should be looking for. Sorry starting to worry��

Anne

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

What you've got planned sounds fine. :)

Just monitor that he hasn't lost more than 10% of his body weight and that he hasn't urinated otherwise he will lose valuable hydration. When you do your weigh in do a quick visual check to make sure there are no other problems, particualrly concerning the eyes and nose. He shouldn't wake up while you are doing this as he'll be in a deep sleep. x

#12 Pennytort

Pennytort

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thank you Kelly appreciate the advice, this is still a bit scary as this will be my first time as well as both the littleness ones! :)

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

i would stick to a totally weed diet, cabbage/kale should be avoided. X x. Hugs

Kale is fine - my babies have it each week and love it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users