Recommended Tortoise Books

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Here's a great book to get anyone started, who is new to tortoise keeping. This was my first book, which is easy to read and tells you all the basics for good tortoise care.

"Keeping a pet Tortoise" by A.C Highfield
http://www.amazon.co...50731892&sr=8-1

I recently also purchased these two, which go much more into detail and are great if you want a more in depth knowledge:

"Hermann's Tortoises, Boettger's and Dalmation Tortoises: Testudo boettgeri, hercegovinesis and hermanni" by Hoger Vetter
http://www.amazon.co...60&sr=8-1-fkmr0
(Make sure you order the English version unless you can read German fluently!)

"Taking care of tortoises, their eggs and hatchlings" by H.Fenwick
http://www.amazon.co...50733063&sr=8-1
This one does contain some advice that I don't agree with on the feeding of fruit and veg and housing hatchlings in vivariums, however it has good information on breeding and the care of hatchliings and a great list of safe plants that they can eat.

My newest purchase is the much recommended "Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's Tortoises" by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.
Attached File  51WJfi36mWL__SL500_AA300_.jpg   16.97KB   8 downloads
(Again make sure it's the English version.... not the German!)
It was a nightmare trying to locate a copy of this as there are very few on sale in the UK. I had to get a copy from overseas..... and I'm still waiting for it to be back in stock..... got one on order though. ;)

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi Kelly,
They sound like excellent recommendations and excellent reads. :) Thanks for sharing. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

I sitting here as we speak, enjoying the freedom of no studying.... indulging in reading "Taking care of tortoises, their eggs and hatchlings". So far so good. Posted Image

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

I wish I knew you were looking for Henny Fenwicks book - I got rid of mine ;)

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi Sue,
Just wondered if you ever considered writing your own tortoise book? :)
Kind Regards

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi Sue,
Just wondered if you ever considered writing your own tortoise book? :)
Kind Regards

Haha, I often thought of this but never find the time. I have the website lol

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

My newest purchase is the much recommended "Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's Tortoises" by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.
Attached File  51WJfi36mWL__SL500_AA300_.jpg   16.97KB   8 downloads
(Again make sure it's the English version.... not the German!)
It was a nightmare trying to locate a copy of this as there are very few on sale in the UK. I had to get a copy from overseas..... and I'm still waiting for it to be back in stock..... got one on order though. ;)

Just got an email to say this one's back in stock and due to be shipped soon. :yay:

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I recommend Holger Vetters book - very informative ;)

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

I like that about Wolfgang too. We saw torts eating some really unlikely plants in the Antalyan region. One surprising one was opium poppy flowers. I often wondered if the tortoises slow metabolism coped with this or whether it was an unwell tortoise which new what to seek out. On the other hand it could have been a tortoise junkie lol

#10 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

I was reading a field study this week that said that around 90% of the plants that torts were observed eating was of the leguminosae family...i should try not to avoid these plants so much :/

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

"Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's Tortoises" by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.

:yay: Yay! It's arrived. I've just sat reading it for the past 3 hours..... :thumbup:

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

Hi Kelly,
I know Paula AKA 'Hettie' has a copy. She highly recommends it. I will definitely have to check it out myself sometime. Thanks for sharing. Happy reading.... :)
Kind Regards

#13 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

I've just received my copy too Kelly, Excellent book. Really informative, and especially interesting to see their natural habitat and how to re-create this in an outdoor enclosure. This is my bedtime reading for the next few weeks!:)

Denise

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

"Naturalistic keeping and breeding of Hermann's Tortoises" by Wolfgang Wegehaupt.

:yay: Yay! It's arrived. I've just sat reading it for the past 3 hours..... :thumbup:

morning kelly where did you order this book from ive been thinking of getting myself :)

#15 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Amazon.com..... you can't get it on the UK site. x

http://www.amazon.co...ann's tortoises

#16 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi Karen,

you can send an email to the author and he'll send you a copy (it will be faster and cheaper than getting it from the US)...he's an awesome guy, pm me if you need his details :)

#17 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I tried that, Roderick... and had trouble in understanding the German on the website. :blink: I gave up in the end.... hence resorting to Amazon. :rofl:

#18 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I will send you his email address...so you can send him an email in English without going through that German website nightmare ;)

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Amazon.com..... you can't get it on the UK site. x

http://www.amazon.co...ann's tortoises

thanks kelly :)

#20 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi Karen,

you can send an email to the author and he'll send you a copy (it will be faster and cheaper than getting it from the US)...he's an awesome guy, pm me if you need his details :)

thanks for that ive ordered it today :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users