• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tanzc69

tanzc69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hello all. I am getting my first tortoise at the weekend and am very excited :-) I'm sure you will see me on here quite a bit over the coming weeks!
I really like the look of this table (need mesh because of my nosey cats :-) but have read elsewhere that glass isn't the best for tortoises
What do you think?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d5eca47e

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :wave:
The table you've chosen looks absolutely fine. The side glass panel here is purely so that you can observe your tortoise and it's not an enclosed vivarium.

Be careful with the tables that have the spot lighting rigged into them. You're better off getting a separate ceramic bulb holder.... those plastic ones get hot really quickly which can pose a fire hazard if they melt. There's also very limited scope to rasie and lower the bulb to get the optimum temperatures below. x

#3 tanzc69

tanzc69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi Kelly - thanks for your response. Just want to make sure the little home is all set up nicely! There is a lot to do and remember is there :-)
This is what i have got so far (or getting) - If i am missing anything please let me know!
- table
- lamp
- uv lamp
- weed seeds
- flower seeds
- timer for lamps
- themometre
- soil

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum,i bet your getting excited,post some pictures of your new little one we love pictures,your tabletop home look's great ,some cuttlefish and a pieces of slate for your tort to eat from will help keep beak trim.
Jaynex

#5 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

:welcomechalk: to the forum tanzc69. Our tortoise table is not exactly the same model, but is similar , it is from the same joiner, we like it, it 's a nice piece of furniture too, we got the legs and the mesh, as we also have a cat. After we purchased it, I like you, read that glass can upset tortoises as they do not understand it and get distressed walking into it. I was therefore concerned, however we have had no problems with our little tort at all, he has been here for over a year now and never shown any signs of being distressed or walking into the glass. The only time he goes near it, is when one of us is there, he comes up to it and watches us through the glass (probably wondering if we are bringing food) ;) The only advice I would give would be to say get the biggest table you can afford and fit into your home.

You must be very excited, I am looking forward to the photos, don't forget your sterilised top soil and a water bowl. :)

#6 tanzc69

tanzc69

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks everyone - am very excited. Have wanted one for years!
Have already got some cuttlefish fish and will get some slate and make sure everything including soil is sterilised
Now just the hardest part.... A name!!
How do you all decide when you don't know the sex for years!? So hard!

#7 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

We don't really, you can go for a Victoria/ Victor senario, go for a unisex name or just take a guess. There a plenty of male torts around with girly names & vice versa. Ours is Rufus, if he turns out be a girl, I am not sure if we will change it or not. :rofl: Ruby maybe.

#8 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

We had the problem in regard to the name, Huey decided on Munchkin which really suits him/her :) We talk like he is a boy but we have no idea x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users