• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

I popped to the local garden centre today which also holds a pet store. This shop has always sold rabbits, budgies and gold fish and i was surprised to see 2 horsefield torts for sale. They were in a 2 ft full glass encounter, on tortoise pellets surface, with a plate of fruity pellets with cabbage, plastic plants, a cave which was to small they couldnt get in it.

One tortoise had very dry skin, and was shreading skin all over. It also had a bad eye.

My 10 year old son (who is learning all about tortoises) managed to pin point all the potential problems, no cold area, no thermometer, wrong food and begged me to say something. He asked the assistant how old they were and the assistant replied 3 months. There were much bigger than my 3 month old.

We brought our soil and went back and a young girl was there, we were brave and said we were worried and she was really pleasant and happy to hear what we thought some of the problems were. She said they had been there for ages as no one has brought one, and said it was the only place for them. I asked about bathing and she knew nothing about this, so suggested she gave them a nice long soak. She then spoke to her superior (who had told Huey they were 3 months old) when he then said they were there before he started employment there 4 months ago !!!!!!!!!! He sadly was not that interested, I did say I was no expert but kindly suggested they looked on the internet for some advice. I will try and upload a couple of sneeky pictures, and be grateful for any advice as I would be happy to report it further if experts on here felt there was imminent risk.

The vivs and cages for all the animals were clean, as before the young girl seemed very caring and was going to bath them straight away but got told to help elsewhere. Huey went back to see if the chap was doing it, but to no avail.

I dont know much about shredding, and a very new owner myself. Hopefully I have grasped the basics of good basic care.

Clairey x xx

#2 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

I HAVE MANAGED TO LOAD ONE PICTURE :(

Attached Files

#3 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

K

Attached Files

#4 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

sORRY 2ND PICTURE, THE OTHER ONE WENT WRONG X X X

Attached Files

#5 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

The poor, poor things, Claireybelle I wish I could say this was a one off, but unfortunately this goes on all over and pet shops/owners rarely listen. I am not sure if you would have a success in reporting them to anyone like the RSPCA, others on here may be able to advise better.

However if you have a printer you could print some care sheets of the internet and post the anonymously through the letter box. The girl who works there might a t least pass it on, it might be worth a shot, you have nothing to lose. http://www.thetortoi...oise_home_1.asp

#6 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Thank you, and yes I will. I would happily take the care sheets in to the manager as it is a large garden centre rather than a small shop,

Is the loose skin normal though :(

Poor poor things, have not felt fresh air for months.

Clairey :-(

#7 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Also, How old do you think they are ??????

#8 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hi tortoises are reptiles, so do naturally shed their skin, that one probably looks worse as it is likely to be dehydrated as well. :sigh: I have no way of telling how old they might be I am afraid.

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

The Tortoise Trust have an excellent care booklet. Why not print it off and give it to the pet shop....

Attached File  Taking_care_of_pet_tortoises_web.pdf   564.02KB   6 downloads

If all else fails... threaten to report them..... and if nothing changes..... actually do it! ;)

#10 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thank you :-)

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Feel free to print out the pages for horsfields from my website, specifically aimed at horsfields and take it to them - www.tortsmad.com/russians.htm
That pic shows just about every possible thing that is incorrect re horsfields - they appear to be several years old. I would ask the assistant how they expect the tortoise to grow from something the size of a ten pence to that size in three months. It's disgusting but sadly, all too common and is going to result in a lot of dead and unwanted tortoises in the near future :(
You can always try contacting your local licensing officer (phone number available from your local council) and suggest he gets a vet report on these animals. they are obliged to follow up any complaints. If he knows nothing about tortoise care, again, feel free to point him to my website or as others have said The Tortoise Trust, but it's unlikely the TT will follow up to be honest.

#12 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thank you, I will print off the info and take it to them. If I had money and space I would buy and save them but the pet shop would only purchase them. The assistant lied about the age, as when I asked how long had they been there, he said they were there before he started employment there 4 months ago !!!!! Ummmm, how can they be three months old then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Derrrrrrrr.

It is a very reputable garden centre,in a posh village and with an excellent reputation for everything else. I think they will listen :-)

#13 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

awwww,how sad,did you manage to take some care sheets to the manager.
Jayne :angry:

#14 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

As I have been working long days (I work in a hospital) I have not made it in yet, but I have emailed them with a polite note and all the links to the care sheets and wrote that I would be popping back in soon. (I sound like an inspector !!!!) I will go back this week and have a peep and take printed sheets. Is anybody else here from East Sussex ? xxx

#15 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

claireybelle, you are a star. :thumbup:

#16 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

I popped back to the pet shop to get some pond liner today, and took a sneaky look at the Horsfields who were both still there. There still in a "VIV" which I expected but did look better. When I went to pay, the young girl recognised me and said all excitedly how they have been bathing them everyday for a good 20 minutes, the torts are drinking, pooing and enjoying the soak.

I was pleased that at least they were doing something right, they will unfortunately be stuck in the VIV until there sold but it is a small step in the right direction and his skin looked so much better.

I emailed another care sheet the other day, and wrote a friendly letter saying if they was to sell tortoise tables, or at least advise these it would be a much cheaper set up for the customer whilst being better for the tort. They are then more likely to sell the torts and use the viv for an animal it is designed for...........

Fingers crossed they may take this on board.

<3 Clairey <3

PS: My daughter thinks im a bit sad being so obsessed with our little tortoise, I have 2 weeks til the end of my nursing course and I really should be finishing my essay. He is such a little timewaster though and loves his new house. The B&Q sterilised top soil seems so much finer than the last one I brought :-)

#17 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Well done Claireybelle :) If your daughter thinks you are sad, then there are whole bunch of us sad gits on here. :rofl:

#18 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

haha i have to agree lol :rofl:

#19 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

ha ha, all she is obsessed with is Ed Sheeran !!!!! :happy2:

#20 SuziRed71

SuziRed71

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Anything Tortoise, gardening, walking keeping fit.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Oh well done you, Claire. It takes some nerves of steel to approach this type of issue with shop staff.. I'm so glad that the young girl took on board what you said and acted on it.. Such a result.. I visited a newly opened reptile shop in my local town only to see a horsefield and a red foot being housed together in a similar glass viv on dyed red wood chips and a bowl full of iceberg lettuce...My insides lurched when I saw it and the condensation on the insides of the glass.. To cut a long story short I didn't get a favourable response from the shop owner so I rang the petshop licensing department at the city council to ask their animal welfare officer to visit..which they did.. When I reported it I was informed that that particular business was not even licensed to sell tortoises and the red foot was seriously ill with pneumonia :( ..at least the authorities are now keeping a close eye on that shop now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users