Losing Weight!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Exotic gardening, tropical fish keeping and of course my Hermann Tortoise (Darwin)

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi all, just thought I would give an update on Darwins lack of eating,
His eating or rather lack of it has continued to get worse! He is only now having the odd little bite every couple of days, I have even been squeezing some cucumber juice over to try and tempt him more.
He still appears fine and is active most of the day and only stops occasionally to have a bit of a bask, I am still bathing him every morning but he hasn't had a poo for a few days now. He just appears completely uninterested in eating anything!
I have only had him just under three weeks and in that time he has gone from 144 grams to 134 grams!
I ordered a worm test kit off the Internet but have now given up waiting for a sample! I suppose it makes sense that if he is hardly eating he is not gonna poo very often, so I have made an appt tomorrow morning to see an exotic vet that was recommended to me by a friend of a friend ( both used to work at the zoo together and this guy uses this vet for his own tortoises)
I can't get believe how stressful this constant worry is, here's hoping it just turns out to be something simple like worms and before long I will be back on here going on about what a greedy little thing he is!,
Vic

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi Vic,
Sounds like your tortoise is losing too much weight. If this pattern continues he will have lost almost 10% of his total body weight soon. I don't want to alarm you but this is a critical threshold. I think you are making the right decision taking your tortoise to a vet. I would also bring along a poo sample if you can get one. I strongly suspect your tortoise has worms.
Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

hi vic lets us know how you get on at the vets, hope you get darwin sorted out :)

#4 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Agree 100% with Freddy, 10% weight loss is an alarm. I assume that you got the temp gradient right cos you mention that he is active most of the day. I find that mine will go to eat more readily when the food is near the UV light, maybe it looks more inviting for them.

Hope you get him sorted soon.

#5 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Exotic gardening, tropical fish keeping and of course my Hermann Tortoise (Darwin)

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi all, thanks for your responses, He has just pigged out big style!!! Not sure how this can be but not complaining, strangely I had been trying to tempt him whilst he was resting by his basking spot and he just started going at it like mad! So it's strange melmnot has just mentioned this. I am one very very happy tortoise owner! This is definitely the most I have ever seen him eat and I had to add more leaves twice!
I don't understand what changed as I didn't do anything different? Maybe it's the luck of this forum and everyone willing him on! Ha Ha!

I am still going to take him to the vets though as he ate quite a lot once before then didn't eat for days, don't think it will do him any harm to be given a thorough check over by the vet?
Am hoping now that he might do a poo sample for me soon so it can be tested for worms!

Was just about to press post and thought I would just go and check on him again and I am shocked! He has gone in his hide and gone to sleep! He has never done this before either! Think I am living in the twilight zone, what's going on?

Will update soon, thanks again everyone!

#6 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

When I talk tortoises start to eat :D

The bit about the UV light is true cos animals that can see in the UV spectrum see different things than we do, look at this http://farm1.staticf...9f0c_z.jpg?zz=1

I would take him to the vet when you've got a fresh poo sample to take with you.

What is strange about eating then going to his hide and sleep, what did he do before?

#7 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi melmnot, up to now he has just slept anywhere around his table, usually next to one of his artificial plants, am very chuffed!

#8 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

That's great news Vicmurg. it sounds as if he is finally settling into his new territory :)

Melmnot why the piccy of the frog?

#9 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Haha sorry guys that was intended to go in another forum :D

This is the right one, shows the difference seeing flowers in the UV spectrum, torts are able to see something on these lines

http://www.dailymail...erently-us.html

#10 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Very interesting MelmNot, it is so hard to believe that anyone, or anything does not see things the same as you. :)

#11 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi all,
Sorry for the delay, Just wanted to post an update!
Darwin has continued to eat and seems to have a great appetite now!
I still took him to the Vets just to be on the safe side and she was really happy with how he is doing now, it was worth it just to make sure they would be ok to use if I ever need to take him in the future.
The vet was great and spent a long time checking him over and asking me loads of questions, in fact before I even showed Darwin to her she insisted I explained the set up I had for him including temps, substrate, bathing etc, this instilled a lot of confidence as she was very pro tables and was very knowledgable about up to date keeping methods. She also agreed that I should not even attempt hibernating him this year due to the recent weight issues and how necessary it was that I get to know him better ready for next years "big sleep"
I cannot tell you how happy I am now that Darwin appears to be doing great!
I think he was just being a little stubborn about settling in, however I am still going to have a poo sample tested just to make sure all is well.
Thanks again for all your advice and support.
Vic

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi Vic,
Great to hear things are going so well for Darwin. :) Please keep us updated on his progress. Take care. Talk soon.
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#13 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

That's great news Vic :thumbup:

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

thats good to hear vic keep us updated :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users