13 replies to this topic

#1 melon

melon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi Everyone :)

Used to come on here when I first got my torty but i've forgotten my username so new account :(

Due to my torts growth over the past couple of years I decided a new home was ideal for her a couple of months ago. So firstly... what do you think? :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The table measures 6ft by 4ft so I'm sure you agree its plenty big enough for now :P

It's now time for some new heating- I'm aware the light in the picture isn't the correct one for her- it was simply a temporary measure as I broke the last one when making her new home. What do you recommend is best for her? Everyone seems to be telling me different things as usual with torts :winkgrin:

Also, anyone got a shortlist of the best food to be found in the garden in winter? The food section is a veryyyy long list!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Sophie

#2 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

WOW, Did you make it yourself, I am desperately seeking a new table for my hatchling as the advice I got from the seller was wrong.

To me, this looks like a tortoise palace, 6ft long so one very lucky tortoise. I am a newbie but the advice I have had is a heat basking lamp and a UV strip which should be changed every 6 months or you can purchase a 2 in 1 bulb which delivers the heat and the UV. I had one of these and it lasted a month before it blew (they are around £40 each so was gutted :( ) and so now Im using a heat bulb and will set up the UV very very soon. Ideally I want a new table which will securely hold it.

I am sure the experts will post soon, as the forum is fab.

Good luck and well done with the new home x

Clairey

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi, Sophie, welcome to the forum. What a super table you've built, and your tortoise is absolutely lovely.
One thing does concern me a little bit though; it may be the angle of the photo, but the water dish does seem to have too high sides, and appears a little deep; I'd be a bit worried she could topple into it head-first when having a drink.
As for winter food, there's normally plenty for one tortoise still available in the parks; plantain, dandelion etc, so you shouldn't have any problem providing for her.

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hello and welcome again,your tort's home look's great,i use strip uva/uvb strip lights and 100 watt basking bulbs.
Jaynex

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

hi sophie its nice to see you back on the forum.
your new table looks great :)
i just use a strip uv and a spot bulb for heat.
through the colder months you can still find a few weeds about dandelion,plantain,clover or winter pansy :)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

hi oz do you use these arcadia t5s your self, ive been looking at these for some time, as ive read that there alot better than the old uv strip, i was thinking of changing to these while my torts are in hibernation. :)
sophie it might be a good idea to go with these if your starting from scratch, as oz said there better uv and last a year the uv most people are using now will need to be changed every 6 months http://www.surreypet...p-24w-22in.html
also heres a link for the pre alpin ive not used this myself so car,nt say what its like but i think alot are using it for over winter http://www.tortoisel...co.uk/page8.htm
hope thats some help :)

#7 melon

melon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi guys,

Yes the table is home made :)

Graham- sorry I realise the photo looks like the water is very high! I took these photos within minutes of putting her in her new home (got very impatient and excited :P).. the dish is properly embedded into the substrate now :)

Ozric- thanks for the advice! I think I will try the arcadia tubes. The support is currently at 35cm.. I think the length of the table makes it look low, but when we made her new home we also ensured this is easily adjustable :P The halogen lamp also sounds good... i'll get shopping for her :) Can you recommend a particular one? I'll give the pre aplpin a go although I've not had much success with her and pre prepared foods before- she's a fussy madam!

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Sophie

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Did you get the measurements right, it looks too long for a 6x4 table or was it the camera angle?
Is she hibernating this winter?

#9 melon

melon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Used a sheet of 6x4 ply for the base- so guess it must be the camera angle! Not hibernating this winter, definetly next year!

Sophie

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Did you line it? Just being nosy.

#11 melon

melon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

No, the ply and timber is treated (animal safe treatment) so it won't rot from any damp. I also suspect that she'd tear up any lining- she likes to demolish little 'hills' that I make, move her rocks around and trample her plants to death haha!

#12 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

I use the Arcadia T5 and the Desert lamp with 100w spots lights as basking areas for my torts too. :)

I find that the UV tubes last longer and (if you pick the right ones) give a full light spectrum which replicates natural sunlight, so it help to keep them active. I uses to use the Arcadia D3 tubes, but found that because they only provides UVB and not UVA, they didn't seem as happy.

#13 Kay

Kay

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi love the table.... I use a combi bulb, but that is down to personel choice..
Food for the garden, a good one to buy is winter flowering pansies - :)

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

thanks ozric i think my shelfs that my uv sit under will be high enough but i would get my husband to check every thing any way, this is why i thought of changing them when the torts are in hibernation incase any thing needs moving :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users