14 replies to this topic

#1 brybry44

brybry44

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

here's bolts new home, he seems to love it,
he's my wife's new baby and gets everything he wants.
now just waiting for his weeds to grow a bit faster and he will have every thing he needs !!!!
roll on the summer so we can build him an outside pen in our large garden, with theEvening primrose plants,SnapDragon White clover Livingstone Daisy,plus all the weeds we planted, may look at buying another next year to keep him company.

Attached Files

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

It looks like you've done a brilliant job on his new home. :thumbup:

#3 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

That looks fab, :) but I can see you are not using top soil, what substrate are you using?

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

bolts new homes looking good you,ve done a great job :thumbup:
the only thing i would say is i would move the rock and slate away from the heat you dont really want any thing around that area as they get to hot, they would be better in the middle or cool end :)

#5 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Nice job there! My tip would be to make his hide a little more personal and cosy, they really like to snuggle in and feel safer, maybe add more soil in the corner and push the pot deeper in the soil, creating a smaller hide with deeper substrate.

#6 brybry44

brybry44

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

yes its a mix of soil sand and lime and grass pellets from the local reptile shop, as he don't like digging down tried everything from top soil ect,
hes just funny like that,
we used to have a hide box but he would not dig down and would not sleep in it,
as we have sand and soil one end and grass pellets other he sleep always on the pellets,
had the sand soil built up to 6 inch but still not happy with it always goes back to pellet end,
strange chap,
do need to make his hide more comfy, but tried paper , dried leaves, top soil,
may move his rock but he gets up and lays on it with legs spread and head in the air like hes on holiday.
temp on the rock is between 28 and 30c in that correct
thanks for your comments

#7 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Cant you keep on using the same substrate he likes but throw a little more near the area of his hide so that the bottom part of the pot goes into the substrate...or just replace with a smaller pot ;) My concern is that he may not feel safe enough with such a high hide. Temp on the basking rock should approach the 33-35C mark.

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Agreed, but not re a rock in the basking areas, tortoises do not bask on hot rocks, but on nearby soil. Never put a basking lamp above slate or rock, it can seriously dehydrate a tortoise. I would fill the hide area with soil/substrate

#9 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Sue, so from yr experience you think that they prefer basking on soil rather than on a big flat stone?

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Absolutely, every time. Lots of hatchlings developing early bladder stones have been kept on basking slates/stones etc. In the wild, they might seek out stones and dark coloured areas at the beginning of the day when the sun is lower but when the temps are high, I have never seen one basking on stones, unlike snakes and some lizards. If we offer temps of 32 degrees, we have to assume this is the hot end of the day and therefore, no stones. I always provide slates to feed from but never under the basking spot ;)

#11 brybry44

brybry44

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

thanks made his sleeping house/den smaller and filled it with soil/sand so has plenty to bed down in if he wants to,
moved rock but put slate down under basking lamp, dont think slate gets to hot as temp on rock was 28/30c
think it helps him warm up quicker!!!
seems to like it as said he has his legs out and head up as sun bathing.
and thats where he is every morning waiting for his meal but he will not move from hot spot till his ready!
may leave it for a couple of days to see if likes soil/ sand area or change his house/ den to grass pellet area to see if he will sleep there,
no one said tortoise were easy but we love him to bits and our grandchild loves him to, even after she calls him rainbow!!!!!!!! :rofl:
thanks for comments

Attached Files

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

It's far too hot for the plastron, but it's your choice and I hope he is big enough to survive a bladder stone. Because he is basking there does not mean it's the right conditions, if you give him the choice he would likely choose the soil for basking. In nature all heat to tortoise comes from above and slate gets incredibly hot, hotter than most rock as it is dark and attracts and holds heat, too hot to walk on bare foot in my garden in summer and after around 10pm the torts will not be on there either ;) It's all about choice. If the slate is put under the basking spot, that choice is taken away as the need to bask is paramount ;)

#13 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

i agree with sue i would,nt have any thing under the heat at all better to be safe than sorry :)
you could always use the slate to feed him off instead of a bowl(not in warm end) as this would help keep his beak trim ;)

#14 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
    \m/

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

My setup is split between a rocky part (the hot side) and a soil part (the cool side and sleeping area). I've been using a big chunk of white limestone exactly under the basking lamp...but it still gets up to 35C, I will remove it and replace half of the space with soil and the other half with a smaller limestone to give her the choice, I bet she'll use the stone in the morning and then move over to the soil as you say.

I'll do the change tonight (while she's asleep) because she'll start her persistent nosing around as soon as she sees me touching something in her table :D Thanks for the tip!

To the OP...a few days may not be enough for him to get used to something new, they are incredibly creatures of habit and will resist any change, even for the better.

#15 brybry44

brybry44

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

changed the slate position and rearranged his pen/bed more cosy and deeper soil,
he looks healthy and very active and very nosey,
thanks for advice

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users