• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel

Rachel

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi I have a 3 year old Hermann whose behaviour has completely changed in the last two weeks. She used to want to sleep a lot but was always very hungry and ate all of her food. She also loved her baths. She is now very active, always walking round her table, she's less keen to go to bed, hates her baths and won't eat any food.

Any ideas why she's doing this? I'm feeding her mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves and vetch, all of which I've fed her since we got her amongst other things. There's no sign of illness but then I don't really know what to look for.

Maybe I should be feeding her vegetables and other shop bought leaves now that there isn't much growing outside?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Rachel

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hi Rachel,
A complete change in a tortoises behavior can usually be an indication that something is wrong. However, I don't think it is anything serious. My own guess is that the problem is either hormonal or she is seeking out a place to hibernate. If you are not ready to hibernate her this year then you will have to keep temps up. Hopefully she is just restless and will settle down soon. If her behavior continues to worry you then I would suggest taking her to the vets for a health check. That way you will have peace of mind. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi I have a 3 year old Hermann whose behaviour has completely changed in the last two weeks. She used to want to sleep a lot but was always very hungry and ate all of her food. She also loved her baths. She is now very active, always walking round her table, she's less keen to go to bed, hates her baths and won't eat any food.

Any ideas why she's doing this? I'm feeding her mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves and vetch, all of which I've fed her since we got her amongst other things. There's no sign of illness but then I don't really know what to look for.

Maybe I should be feeding her vegetables and other shop bought leaves now that there isn't much growing outside?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Rachel

What size is she and what size/depth is her enclosure? Is she an only tortoise? Don't buy vegetables as this will only serve to make things worse in the short term. A change in behaviour can indicate a variety of things, but we need to know a bit more about your setup and what (if anything ) has changed recently ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users