Hibernation Plans Gone Awry :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Living in a small bungalow, we have no room at all for second fridge anywhere, to hibernate 15 month old Rufus.

Plan A was the loft, it always feels icy cold when I drop the steps and venture up there. However having had a thermometer up there for a couple of weeks we realised it was going to be too warm :unsure2: Plan B was the utility room which is attached to the kitchen and has a corrugated plastic roof, I always feels arctic in there to me, but no I have just found out that is too warm too :(

We didn't really have a plan C so need one quick. I have just found this:http://www.preloved....7/7e2442b9.html it's about 40 miles away, it may well not be there after three weeks, but if it is, would it be any good? Help!

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi Chris,
Sorry, but I don't know too much about incubators for hibernation. I wouldn't put myself under any pressure though. If you fail to find a suitable place to hibernate Rufus it will just have to wait until next year. His hibernation period would only have been for 8 weeks anyway, a short time. Hopefully there will be others along soon to offer you more helpful advice. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi there,

I have room for a small one in my Fridge down in Bradford should you need it, I've got two going in at the end of this month.

I've used the fridge twice so far and it runs at the right temp, even have a backup should it go wrong so your more than welcome to use it I check the Torts once a week and have a Wi-Fi temp monitor to monitor everything is as it should be.

Anyway the offer is there should you need it.

Tim.

#4 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thanks very much for the offer Tim, but am thinking now that perhaps will not get hibernated after all, I would have missed him anyway :)

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

What about a smaller counter top larder fridge? They take up less room.... and the temperatures arr more stable than the Husky drinks fridges...... :hmm:

I'm just tucking my fridge in the corner in my bedroom.... out of the way. It'll only be for a couple of months. Both the tortoise tables are in there too! Once Norman's in the fridge, I'm going to empty out his tortoise table and give it a good clean and air out, ready for the spring. That way I'll free up a bit of floor space. ;)

#6 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi Kelly we really have no room at all, we live in a small two bedroomed bungalow I bought it for me and my five year old son, we now have living here three adults, including my body building, rugby playing son, he didn't stay five for long. :rolleyes:

I'm just tucking my fridge in the corner in my bedroom.

I don't even have room for a dressing table in my bedroom, let alone a tort. :P His table is in an alcove by the side of the chimney breast, I refuse to have a fridge there. :rofl:

Anyway If he does hibernate, then that alcove will be reclaimed by my real Christmas tree in December, it always has stood there pre tort.

I did contact the guy selling the incubator, by text, mobile phone (no reply) and a message through pre-loved, no answer at all :( If it is sold why can't he tell me so and take the ad off?? grrrrr.

It looks as if Rufus will be staying awake, but I am open to suggestions from anyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users