• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hi Kelly,
You have done a great job winding Norman down and providing such an excellent diary for newbies. :) I feel sure everything will work out just fine. Best of luck! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#22 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

DAY 5 OF HIBERNATION:

Fast asleep. :wub:

Posted Image

#23 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

bless him :)
hows your nerves holding out :)

#24 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

WEEK 2 OF HIBERNATION:

First weigh in today and he's still 269g. :yay: No weight loss whatsoever and no sign of urination (although as he is on damp soil it is difficult to tell :unsure: ).
He's looking good health wise, eyes clear, nose clear and he's responding to touch. :)

The fridge has maintained excellent temperatures..... between 4-5oc which is perfect. When I've been scanning the top of his shell with an infared thermometer he has been about 3oc. :thumbup:

#25 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Glad it's all going well so far, Kelly, nerve-racking time isn't it?
Harry's been in three weeks now, I'll be glad when March comes. :)

#26 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

You're not kidding.... I'm like a neurotic mum at the minute, opening the fridge door and checking his temperatures at least 3 or 4 times a day. There's that much wafting of the fridge door going on at least he's got no risk of suffocating in there. :rofl:

#27 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

OMG, how nerve wracking but sounds like you have done a first class job. My hatchling wants to hibernate now so hopefully will be ok for next year. I will look forward to the plan you decide on with Hazel and will probably copy it (If you dont mind).

Are the small beer/mini fridges ok for little ones ?????

Love Clairey x

#28 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

morning clairey i think people have tried these mini fridges before but they dont keep stable temps, you would be better going for one of the under counter ones :)

#29 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

WEEK 3 OF HIBERNATION:

Norman still weighs in at 269g, no urination, eyes and nose clear and fridge temperatures have remained between 4-5oc. I sprayed the soil a little too to keep it nice and moist.

Everything is looking good still. :thumbup:

#30 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

WEEK 4 OF HIBERNATION:

Still 269g and everything's still going well. :)

#31 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

WEEK 5 OF HIBERNATION:

Weight 268g (only 1g lost since he's been in the fridge).
Temps still good and he's looking healthy. :)

#32 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

WEEK 6 OF HIBERNATION:

Weight: 269g again (looks like watering the soil had helped him to soak up a bit of moisture through his cloaca)

Everythings's still looking great. The time has flown by. I can't believe he's only got a few weeks left!

I may extend his time ..... I don't see any reason not to, as all has gone so well so far. Would 10 or 12 weeks be too much for his first hibernation? :unsure2:

#33 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

WEEK 7 OF HIBERNATION:

Norman had defecated this morning when I checked him..... The biggest poo EVER! :rofl: His weight has now dropped to 263g as a result!! No sign of urination though which is good. I watered his soil though just in case and will monitor his weight again over the next few days to see if he's absorbed any of the moisture though his cloaca.

Looks like I may be bringing him out after the planned 8 weeks after all.

#34 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

WEEK 7 DAY 2 OF HIBERNATION:

More poo...... weight now 258g.... Still no sign of urination though. I'm monitoring daily now. Looks like he may need to wake up if he carries on like this. :(

#35 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hi Kelly,
It does appear that Norman is pooing very late into hibernation. As this poo is really only waste matter and not in fact fat reserves I don't think it poses any real health risk.
But I would agree with you that if there is any more poo it would probably be as well to take him out after 8 weeks, just to be on the safe side. Hope this helps.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#36 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

His 10% weight loss would take him down to 250g.... he's currently 258g.... hence me thinking he may need to come out soon if he loses any more weight. Before the wind down his start weight was 278g.

#37 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hi Kelly,
This is a tricky one but I would say most of Norman's weight loss is in poo. If he was 278g before wind-down and has pooed a lot since, then his starter weight was probably due in part to a full bowel.
This has to be taken into account when considering overall body weight and a 10% weight loss.
I wouldn't think he has lost anything near 28g in actual body fat.
His average weight loss over the past 7 weeks also seems normal, despite his recent hibernation poo, an indicator that all is well.
However, you may feel better taking him out if there is any further weight loss for your own peace of mind. It is your call. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide. Hope this helps.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#38 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Where is it coming from all these weeks later? :blink2: :giggle:

#39 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Where is it coming from all these weeks later? :blink2: :giggle:

Good question, Chris. The bowel was probably very full to begin with and its remaining contents have only emptied now due to slower metabolism over the hibernation period. That would be my guess, though I could be wrong. It could also be something to do with that chunk of cuttlefish Norman ate during wind-down!!!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#40 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

WEEK 7 DAY 3 OF HIBERNATION:

Another gram lost...... down to 257g now..... :mellow: Temperatures are still spot on and he's nice and settled.... not moving around at all. I'm just checking him daily now. If he reaches 250g, I'm waking him up. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users