Juvenile Hibernation Diary

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

WEEK 7 DAY 5 OF HIBERNATION:

..... 256g. :huh:

#42 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

WEEK 7 DAY 6 OF HIBERNATION:

Norman urinated yesterday evening and is now down to 254g. I'm going to get him up and out of the fridge when I get back from work at lunchtime. He nearly made his 8 week mark, so I'm happy.

I've got to stop off at B&Q to get his top soil first........

I'll keep everyone posted how he gets on later. :fingers_crossed:

#43 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

well thats your 1st hibernation over kelly, you,ll be glad normans back up :)

#44 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Well.... he's up and about. :D :wub:

His eyes were open within an hour of bringing his hibernation box out of the fridge and left at room temperature and another half an hour later, he was moving around, so I popped him under the heat lamp to warm up.

He's had a nice bath, a drink and has had a few nibbles of dandelion.

He's now marching round his tortoise table..... trashing it and turning it into a muddy swamp! :rofl: Most of it is now in his food. :blink2:

It's great to have him back. ;)

#45 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Well done Kelly, it has been a fascinating read. I hope it will be archived so others can be guided by it. I can't wait to get mine on the move x x x hugs x x

#46 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hi Kelly,
Great to hear Norman is up and about and back to his old self! :)
Congratulations on your first hibernation. :happy2:
Your Hibernation Diary has been of great help to others.
Well done again. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#47 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I have to agree, Kelly, you've done fantastically well in your monitoring and keeping us all informed; sorry things haven't gone completely 100%, but nevertheless, you've done exactly what I think I would have done, particularly as Norman urinated. You've nothing much to worry about, I think, it was coming close to emergence time anyway, so I'm sure Norman will be perfectly ok.
Thank you for keeping us all informed of your progress; such information is of great ongoing value.

#48 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Norman's been a bit slow with regaining his appetite, despite temperatures been spot on. :unsure2: He doesn't really seem that interested in his weeds.... just a few nibbles here and there.

I tempted him with a few slices of cucumber yesterday, to get him going, which he finished off totally. Today, I offered some raddichio with his weeds (which he loves!) and he picked all of them out,devoured each and every one.

He's not showing much interest in his normal weed diet though at the moment. He did spend most of today basking, so hopefully tomorrow he should be back to his normal self and get his appetite back. :fingers_crossed:

#49 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

It must be a shock to their little systems, all that rest and 'nothingness' and then heat, light and food.... And daily warm soaks!
Probably feels a bit like us getting up in the middle of the night to go on holiday, sluggish and really wanting to be back in bed.
I am sure Norman will soon be giving you the run a round Kelly.... I look forward to seeing his lovely face again x x x hugs x x

#50 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Even Hazel polishing them off didn't make him jealous enough to dig in!! :rofl:

Posted Image
Posted Image
He's enjoyed turning his water into a muddy bog though!! :blink2:

#51 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Muddy bog water is a speciality!!!! Lovely pics x x

#52 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Well, I weighed him this morning as he's back up to 267g. :)

When I just looked in on him, and after his bask under his heat lamp, he was sitting next to his slate waiting for his breakfast, so thats a good sign. He's in the bath at the moment and has just passed LOADS of urates. :thumbup: ....... so that's his system cleared out nicely after hibernation. They were lovely and pasty, so at least I now know that he wasn't dehydrated at all. :D

I've just put weeds only in today..... :D no option of pandering to his whims with cucumber and raddichio..... I'll report later on how he goes...... ;)

#53 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

....... Just peeped in on him and he's devouring his weeds with gutso. :yay:

Looks like I was worrying over nothing. ;)

#54 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Kelly
You have done a great hibernation diary,i always try to follow Dawn's hibernation diary but never managed the four week wind down only ever managed to get them to three weeks so i have adjusted the end of the plan,glad to hear Norman is back to eating and all went well.
Jaynex

#55 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

hi kelly its good to hear normans back eating and doing ok :)

#56 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yeah! Great to hear Norman's back eating his weeds and is in great form!
Best wishes
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users