• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi Everyone; I'm worried about Harry, it's the end of week three of the wind down period, and he hasn't passed anything in that time at all. I was really hoping he'd do a poo sometime to empty himself, but nothing's come out. I've been bathing him regular to help it along, but no result. If he doesn't go by the end of next week, should I keep him up until he passes something?
I'm concerned and anxious.
Many thanks,

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hi Graham,
4 weeks is time enough for Harry to pass something. If he hasn't passed anything by then chances are his gut is already empty. As long as you are following instructions to the letter there is no need to feel anxious or worried. Sounds like you're doing everything just fine.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is folk law but I've read somewhere that a journey in a car sometimes works but I can't think in what forum I read it a Google might find it.

Harriet is a few days away from going in to the fridge and today I put her in a warmer than normal bath she had a wee something I thought she had already finished so my guess was the warmer bath helped move things along plus keeping her in for the full fifteen minutes always helps and on Tuesday she will be going on a car journey not to far half and hours car ride to show her to a friend before she goes in the fridge for a couple of months providing everything is going well.

I will report back on the folk law and if it provoked any more bowel or bladder movement and yes she will have her seatbelt on.

Tim.

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi Freddy, I did reply to you, but the post got lost in the IT glitch earlier today.
According to the diary I keep of Harry, he did pass a good load on the very day before wind-down began, so I assume that this would be fine. He hasn't weed though, so I reckon he's keeping it for storage. He's hibernated over forty times in his lifetime so far, so I think he knows what he's doing better than I do.
Thanks for your reassurance, though, I do feel better now.
He's going in the fridge this evening; pass me the vodka bottle :(
Really going to miss him, roll on the Spring :cry:

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi Graham,
Sorry, I missed your earlier reply. Your absolutely right about Harry. He is indeed in the best position to know exactly what is right for him. He has been hibernating for a long time now and it has become second nature to him. However this doesn't make it any easier for us owners and I can understand the weight of responsibility you feel for Harry's welfare. This is quite natural. I feel the same way every year about 'Billiejo' come hibernation time.
Anyway Graham, I wish you the best of luck with your first hibernation and feel sure everything will work out just fine. Harry will be doing what comes natural to him over the next few months and before you know it he will be back to his old mischievous self. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thanks, Freddy, you're a pal.
Just put Harry in the fridge, closing that door was a horrid experience, but no doubt he'll shortly be zedding away in the land of nod while I'm beside myself with worry.
Wish I could jump in there with him and wake up in March when it's all over. I really thought that when the kids left home, my parental worries were over;........................then I had Harry :LOL:
I'll keep the forum informed of his progress during the hibernation period.
I hope Billiejo's doing well, let's hope we can all rejoice together in the Spring.
Off to the the off-licence now :cry: , I need it.

#7 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Reading everyones post on hibernation i feel so guilty and releived we over wintering but i think keeping till up and going is going to be a mission in its self! Lights on 14hrs foods in every day and plenty of nice warm baths it is, although i have rewormed her this week n all seemed well i'm still concerned over initial 14g weight loss when i had her and me still only 3months into tortiehood x good luck everyone xxxxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users