Photo

Advice Needed For Very Determined Tortoise!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Georgiecp

Georgiecp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

We got our lovely tortoise Arthur given to us in September. He was 5 on 21st of October. As far as I know he has never hibernated before but he continually keeps digging down and doesn't come out. I keep bringing him out bathing him putting him under the heat lamp but as soon as he can he is buried again.

I have weighed and measured him and he is 1312 g and 21cm. I think he is too light to hibernate but he has other ideas. At the moment he is in the utility room and I have been monitoring the temp it is 12.5 however it may be colder down in the earth where he is!

I really don't know what to do for the best?

Yours hopefully for some advice Georgie

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hi Georgie,
I think Arthur will soon be ready for hibernation if his surrounding temps continue so low. Judging by his current behavior it will be hard to keep him going all winter long. How long have the utility room temps been at 12.5C? They will need to be 4 or 5 degrees higher if you are to keep him from digging down. Moving his enclosure to a warmer room might be a better idea.
Has Arthur stopped eating? If not it may be possible to keep him going over the winter period with plenty of heat and light. However at 5 years old he really should be hibernated. I understand this requires confidence and preparedness. And, as you have recently just got him and are new to tortoise keeping, it may be a good idea to keep him up this year to get to know him better and ensure he is healthy in every way.
Anyway Georgie, please let me know how you get on. If you have any further questions or queries please get back to me, I'll be only too delighted to help. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users