• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Can any one tell me if it's normal for tortoise to still be moving around after 3 weeks of pre hibernation.
He stopped eating so I have followed all the info on the web and was going to put him in his box ect at the end of next week but the last few days he has been walking a round a lot looking for food.

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Have you cut down the background heat and turned off the basking lamp?

#3 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hi Kelly yes have done all that and have put him in small room where there is no heating but he is still coming out if he hears us. so not sure what to do next.

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

I suspect he is still too warm. What temperature is the room at? You may need to put him somewhere even cooler. x

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi There,
I agree with Kelly. You will need to put him in a cooler place. Perhaps you could open some windows. Just a thought....
Best of luck!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thanks guys I have now moved him to a cooler place and it seems to be working did not come out all day yesterday so hopefully on the right track now. will put him in his box next week and then into garage attached to the house, temp in there is staying steedy at mo 9 degrees.

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

hi you will need to get the temp in the garage lower than 9 it needs to be as close to 5 as you can get ;)

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

I aagree, but 9 degrees will be fine for a couple of weeks. In the wild they have a few warm days at first. If after a couple of weeks it's still 9 degrees, you might have to think about the fridge or open a garage window if possible.

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

this is good to know i was always led to belive that any thing over 8 would be no good even from the start ;)

#10 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Mine are still outside and on sunnier days they come out and have a roam around.

They have heating which comes on if it drops below 10 degrees, which after this weekend will be lowered for a week or so until the come inside and into the fridge.

Like Sue said, in the wild the temps fluctuate slightly before dropping for the winter. Perhaps this is natures way of making sure they have empty guts?? Whilst on the subject of being in the wild, if there is still vegetation available do they eat it on their active days and if so how do they wind down emptying their gut?

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users