Food Supplements

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Our 15 month old has never ever shown any interest in his cuttlefish or limestone flour cake, even when rubbed with weeds or dampened. We do however sprinkle limestone flour some days and Nutrabol others on his weeds from salt shakers.

What is the correct amount of supplements and is it possible to give too much to them and if so what are the effects on the tort?

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

That's a hard one Chris, can I tag another question to your list.... Do torts who live outside and forage for their own food need extra vitamins etc, and if so how do you give them and .... Everything Chris says x x x hugs x

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

This question is raised in the book I recently purchased.... the author in it recommends that NO supplements are given at all! :o: I believe that unless we are keeping them in a totally natural environment (which we can't in the U.K, no matter how hard we try) we need to provide supplements. This raises the question as to whether the UVB in the bulbs and the calcium that we provide is enough?..... Are we inadvertently causing problems by adding to their intake with more D3 and calcium?

I have cuttlefish in Norman's enclosure.... and he NEVER shows any interest in it.... or so I thought. :mellow: I think he has a nibble on it when he thinks I'm not watching! (The same as drinking!!!) :rofl: The only time I've ever seen him eating it, is when I put a new one in, and then again.... during his wind down when he wasn't supposed to be eating anything!

I think the best we can do is offer it.... and it's there when they want it.....I've been supplementing my hatchling 3 times a week and providing cuttlefish and limestone flour in a shallow bowl if she needs it and I'll see how she goes. She had quite a high UVB output bulb, so I'm reluctant to use too much Nutrolbol. I've also chucked a load of empty snail shells into the outdoor enclosure, as they tend to feast on these in the wild when needed too. I may also add a few to the tortoise tables too. ;)

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think growing torts can benefit from certain supplements. But it is important that it is not overdone. If they have a good mixed weed diet then supplements are less important as they get all the vitamins and minerals they need from a balanced diet. During winter time or when weeds are scarce supplements can certainly help but personally I would only use them sparingly.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

My outdoor tortoises have the area they graze sprinkled with limestone flour and there are large heaps of it around the garden so they can help themselves. Weeds grown in this country don't have as much calcium as those grown in teh Med, unless you live in a naturally calcium rich area. Nutrobal shoudl be given at the ratio of 1 pinch per kilo of tortoise, so for tinies a very small amount. It equates to a very fine dusting of the tortoises food, daily for growing animals, less so for adults. I use Nekton MSA in the same ratio.

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Sue, if I sprinkle the general area with nutrobal or similar, and place heaps of limestone flour in sheltered places, that should be ok?

I always have cuttlefish bone scattered about, and they do eat it regularly.

My torts are outside all year round.... Obviously with purpose built indoor accommodation and although last year they had to be supplemented with weeds, next year I am hoping enough weeds/plants will grow to feed them totally x x hugs x x

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi Stella
I would not use nutrobal outdoors as the sun does the job that the D3 would be doing and it would just be a waste of money. Limestone alone will be enough and the sun will convert it to D3 for you. Cuttlefish is fine and helps to keep beaks down, but I don't reply on it for calcium alone as it is quite high in phosphorous, which they get enough of from the plants.
Hope this helps ;)
Sue

#8 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for all your replies, I am going to greatly reduce the amount we are sprinkling on the weeds, the salt pot makes it easy just to give them a little. :)

#9 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Sue, limestone flour it is x. Hugs x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users