Help With Fridge Temperatures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hello,
I am hibernating my two, two year old hermanns this year for the first time and they are due to go in the fridge in mid December.

I have my wind down plan prepared and fridge installed and running.

I bought an indesit larder fridge to hibernate them in but am having trouble keeping the temperature high enough. I have a thermometer with a wire probe in the fridge and the temps are reading from 2 degrees to 4.4 degrees. I understand that the optimal temp is 5 degrees but the fridge never gets up that high - averaging at approx 3 degrees. I have lowered the dial in the fridge to between 0 and 1 which should give the highest temps. There are a few bottles of water in there - but it's not packed with bottles - do you think adding more bottles will help the temperature to rise?

Really not sure what to do - any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Denise

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Make sure too, that the tortoises are not near to the back of the fridge as some tortoises have come out blind if the fridge has a rear cooling element. My own larder fridge (although not used for torts) regularly forms ice on the back wall, so be very careful of this. I would also fit an alarm stat if your are seeing temps of 2 degrees, it may have dropped even lower overnight. Personally I would not be happy risking it with my tortoises. Maybe the salad drawer would be a better option for them :/

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I had that problem last winter with my larder frigde,the thermometer was averaging 4-5c but the cooling element at the back was forming ice and also not to have the boxes touching the element as they get damp.i tend to keep a shallow dish of water in the fridge and check it regulary making sure its not freezing as i find it can differ in temps around the fridge

#4 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Oh dear, yes the element does have some ice on it. I got up in the middle of the night to check the temps and they were reading 2 degrees. I think i should have bought an auto defrost fridge where the inside back wall is plastic not metal. My regular food fridge is like that and the temps in the salad drawer is about 6 degrees. I am not too keen on putting them in the food fridge though but maybe it would be a stop gap whilst i buy another ...better fridge..:-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users