• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hi, after the return of my 2 girls in March following a 7 months "disappearance" following which the smaller tort had gained 20g (90g at 7,5cm) and the larger tort a whopping 48g (200g at 10cm), they have remained the same weight and size during this year, mainly due to the weather I presume, although they were always very active when we had some sun!

My question is, would you hibernate as usual i.e. 12 weeks so long as they did not drop more than 10%? They were checked for worms and all okay. Or do you think as they have not gained any weight that I should not hibernate them?

I had planned to bring them in at the beginning of December which they hate for a couple of weeks before going in the fridge (they are still outside with some background heat in their house).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pat

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hi, Pat,
According to the weight/size ratio of your torts, they are both completely within the acceptable range to hibernate; have a look at this link, tap in the statistics, and you'll see what I mean:
http://www.tortoise-...uk/site/171.asp
Hope this is of some help, and I'm sure other members will comment further.

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hi Pat,
I would hibernate them for the 12 weeks so long as they did not drop more than 10%. My guess is they already have enough fat reserves to see them through their winter sleep. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I know they are okay on the Jackson scale, it was the fact that they had not gained any weight this year that was the worry.

Will carry on as normal.

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users