Fridge

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hello,

I posted previously about the Indesit fridge that i have bought for hibernation that will not keep a high enough temps. Is now running at 2-3 degrees and has ice on the back wall. :-( Can anyone recommend a make and model number that they use which holds the temp at around 5 degrees.
Denise

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think all fridges are made to run at an optimum of 5oc, as this is the idea temperature in which to keep most perishable goods. x

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

hi denise where are taking the temp in the fridge,are you taking it from inside the box that your torts would be going in :)
for the back of the fridge you could put some cardboard at the back so the box your torts are in does,nt come into contact with it ;)

#4 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi Karen,

Yes I am, ..Ive tried the top shelf, middle and salad drawer!! Two thermometers with the probe on a wire inside the box which I intend to hibernate them in- but not touching the sides (so it's in the air)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

hi denise in my fridge i have the boxes in already with topsoil in and i place the sensor on the soil ( not in the air)
do you have substrate in the box.
ive always found the top of the fridge has a little warmer temps
have you tried moving your fridge into a different room see if that makes a difference :)

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hi, Denise,
Sorry to stick my oar in here, but this is a problem I've seen a couple of times in the past with new fridges. It's not right that your fridge's highest temperature is 2-3 degrees, they should run on optimum 5 degs, normally attainable at the mid-setting. It's either because the fridge is so new, or you've got a dicky thermostat.
Try the following; with the fridge switched off, turn the setting dial back and fore several times; the newness of the fridge can make the dial a bit stiff, and it may need loosening. Having done that, switch the fridge on, and turn the dial to its highest setting; this will activate the pump and coolant to maximum, getting in going. Leave it for 48 hours, and then turn it down incrementally and monitor the temperature every 24 hours. Please note that contrary to popular belief, many larder fridges with no icebox are capable of sub-zero temperatures, but this should only happen on the very highest setting.
I don't wish to dishearten you, Denise, but you've left it a little bit late in the season to sort out a new fridge; they can take many weeks to stabilise, that's why they should be acquired and set around August/September.
I hope everything gets sorted for your torts to hibernate safely and peacefully.

#7 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thanks Graham, I am going to give that a go. I had no idea it would take that long to stabilise - I had bargained on three weeks max. What do others think about putting them in our regular food fridge until I can get another separate fridge stabilised?

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

morning denise when are they due to go into the fridge, just so we know how long you have left to sort things :)
not sure about the kitchen fridge i no it would,nt work in my house as the kids are never out of it so temps would be up and down in there.
see what others think :)

#9 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi, Thank you Mildredsmam, I was going to put them in on the 16th December after 3 weeks wind down, which should start today! They are 2 years old so i was only going to do 8 weeks which means it can be a little bit flexible. Names and models of successful fridges please :)

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

hi i would hold off on the windown if you have,nt started it gives you a bit more time to get some thing sorted they could always go into the fridge january for 8 weeks.
any new fridge should hold good temps really so you want the one that you can get the fastest so you can set it up in time then start the windown :)/>
or you could always leave it this year and hibernate them next year but start early with the set up.

#11 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks ever so much Karen, goodness, I had no idea this would be so nerve wracking! I had assumed, quite wrongly, that by buying a brand new fridge, I would be pretty much guaranteed fairly stable temps - seems not though! :unsure:/>
Yes I think I will hold off the wind down for a bit - I really want to try to hibernate them because I feel it's right to do what they would naturally do in the wild. Have to say though, my two show no signs of naturally winding down, they are eating like piglets and stomping around quite happily. :LOL:/>
For the next few days I am going to try what Graham suggested and see if I get any significant differences. Otherwise I am off to buy another new fridge!

Up until now I was measuring the air temperature but I have put topsoil in the boxes now and have the thermometer on the soil, as you suggested (not in the air)- maybe this will make a difference.
Fingers crossed.

Denise

#12 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

you can only try you only need the temp up a little it would be better for you not to have to buy a new fridge.
also if you have,nt tried it put the fridge in a different room see if that makes any difference it did with mine as at first mine was running to high.
let us know how you get on :)

#13 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Me and my son, Sam have moved the fridge to another room now - I'll let you know how we get on. Thank you Karen.
Denise

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Checked on my torts today and the temps are normally 4-5 c but today they reading 6.5-7 c is this ok?
Regards matt

#15 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Not too sure Matt. think that if it stays below 9 degrees for shortish periods torts probably wont wake up but you'll need to keep monitoring. Am sure someone more experienced will be along in a while to answer your question.

Ive had my fridge on for approx 24hours at lowest temp and it has stabilised at minus 1 degrees!!!! It has kept that temp for a while now so im going to gradually turn it up and see what temps i get now.

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

hi denise is your fridge temps any better :)

#17 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hi Karen, Thanks for asking.
I did everything you and Graham suggested but still no luck. :(
I have bitten the bullet and ordered another fridge today ..a zanussi (we have one of those as our regular fridge and it seems to keep good temps). Ive put the old (new) one on preloved because im sure its fine for food. The new one comes in a week.
I realise im cutting it a bit fine now but im thinking they might be able to do a few weeks in our regular fridge in case the new one needs time to settle.Our fridge keeps good temps but id obviously rather have them in a separate one. I have started their 3 week wind down today. I guess i can just abandon things if it doesnt work out....but i am quite determined to try.

Denise

#18 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

at least you tried hopefully the new fridge has good temps straight away :)

#19 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Checked on my torts today and the temps are normally 4-5 c but today they reading 6.5-7 c is this ok?
Regards matt

Hi Matt,
6.5C-7C is still OK but to be honest temperatures wouldn't want to increase any further for very long as a torts metabolism triggers at 8C and they lose weight and at 9C+ they can also wake up. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#20 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hi freddy
Thanks for the info very much appreciated :) was starting to panic but over the last two days,seems to have settled down to around 5.2c at top of fridge and 5.7 at the bottom so fingers crossed will stay at that :)
Regards
Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users