4 replies to this topic

#1 Embo81

Embo81

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hi all,
Been following the winding down advice and am halfway through the third week- no lamp, no heat no food, regular baths etc.
my fridge is up and running at around 5 degrees. It's specifically for torty nothing else.
However, last year I put him to sleep for the first time. Therefore he only slept for 3 or so weeks- and he didn't actually sleep! He kept poking his head out and wiggling when I looked at him or
weighed him.
This year he's not even winding down! He's on the rampage 3 weeks in even though he's not been fed!!!!! Climbing, digging, rushing to me when I walk in the room. And it's Baltic in my spare room!!!! Varies between about 8-11 degrees. I'm starting to feel soooo bad and considering keeping him up if he doesn't want to sleep? Worried being so active with no food is going to lead to weight loss before he goes in the fridge.
He's a Hermann so it's not his breed!
Anyone experience anything similar? Any tips ir advice? I keep telling him he doesn't know what he's missing? Weeks of sleep, I would love it lol!
Thanks in advance for any ideas
Emily

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Have you turned all your lights off for the last week? x

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

hi emily one of my hermanns took a little longer to slow down even though there was no lamps on.so keep going a little longer i opened a window in the room even though to me it felt cold, and kept the room quite dark :)
when you give him a soak make sure the waters not to warm for him.
you will need to hibernate him for 8 weeks any thing less is not much use they can take a couple of weeks to really settle down once they go into the fridge ;)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hello Emily, your temps may be a little warm, they need to be around 5degrees to slow them down. One of my old ladies has just decided to snuggle under the soil even though her mates long since gone down. It may also be too light for him.... X x hugs x x

#5 Embo81

Embo81

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks everyone,you are a helpful bunch! Xx
I have left the curtains drawn today and opened a window-bbrrrrr. However, so far so good- the little lazy bones hasn't surfaced yet!
Thankyou so much, was having a panic!
Emily xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users