Photo
- - - - -

Do Captive Bred Tortoise's Really Prefer To Be Alone ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I have a herman hatchling (August 2012), and ever since I have got Munchkin I can't help think that he would prefer a companion. I have contacted the dealer who we brought him from and she has said that they were incubated to be female, and there is another one from the same hatch. She also has new hatchlings arriving this week.

(1) Is it better to have same breed from same hatch ? Im thinking that as similar size they wont squash the other.

(2) Is the incubation period pretty guaranteed ? I know that if they are wrong then I will need a 2 enclosures.

(3) Do I just get over my "thing" that I hate seeing animals alone and that munchkin is fine on her own. At the moment it does not seem to be much more work with the 2nd one, so at least she will be getting a nice new home.

Any advice please would be very grateful :-)

Clairey :-)

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hi Clairey,
Incubation times can be a good indication of sex but like everything else in life there are no guarantees. Besides you will probably be able to enjoy both tortoises for a few years yet before you necessarily have to separate them.
Tortoises are generally solitary creatures although there is evidence that they thrive in company and in groups. Anyway, I am by no means an expert in this area so hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hi Clairey,

Lots of us started with one and felt the same as you do. My two hatchlings spend most of their time following each other around and they do appear happy together, but bear in mind if they do turn out to be one of each you will have to provide them with seperate set ups... two torties on their own!
It is a difficult descision that only you can make... and now I have 7! :D

Paula x

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

hi i dont think many of us stick with just the one ive got 5 and 6 hatchlings :)
all my hatchlings spend most of their time sleeping together and following each other around.
the descision is up to you really your tort you have now will be fine on her own but its nice to have two ;)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

As Paula has said, we think like humans and any pets we have we think NEED company.
The decision is all yours Clairey, but I fear lots of us get the 'bug' and want more of these fascinating reptiles to care for if space can allow it.
I think what you have to bear in mind the size a fully grown tort can get to and remember eventually they will outgrow indoor accommodation and need to live outside for all if not the best part of our British summers.
My torts seem to spend a good part of their day doing their individual stuff, and then when they go into Tort Lodge for the night they bunch together. Maybe they just want to get into the same corner, or maybe as I like to think, they are snuggling together for comfort and friendship.
Some of mine are hibernating in Tort Lodge this year and all but two are in the same area, even though there is plenty of space.
x x x hugs x x

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I agree, Stella. Sometimes tortoises do enjoy interacting with each other. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I think the difference with hatchlings together has to be whether they started out together or if one is introduced later. Babies reared together do appear to miss their siblings when separated, but when a new one is added, there is often a problem with males pestering females from an early age and other dominance issues, sometimes with the original one becoming subservient and going off food etc. It's not always the case, but much different to having two together from the word go ;)

#8 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thanks guys, I am seriously considering it and really appreciate your advice. I do understand about the housing when they are older but this isn't a problem.

One final question, is it best to get one from the original hermann hatch (more likely to be same sex) or does it not matter. It will be from the same breeder regardless x x x

I have been told that it is best to avoid mixing breeds x

Thanks again

Clairey x x x x

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I would go for a different breeding if at all possible to strengthen the gene pool - your breeder, if experienced, will no doubt have kept records of which tortoise laid which eggs and which the likely father is. Breeding borther and sister is the same with all species, eventually there will be problems ;)
Luckily there are no breeds as yet, but again the breeder will no doubt be aware of mixing species ;) Being from the same clutch has no bearing on the sex as the temps vary in different places in the hatching box, so can produce both sexes regardless. Personally I would go with different clutch.
Hope this helps.

#10 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hi there,

Yes that is a great help. Is there any way of private messaging members on this forum ?

Thanks Sue :-)

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hi there,

Yes that is a great help. Is there any way of private messaging members on this forum ?

Thanks Sue :-)

If you hover your mouse over the members user name or go to their profile, you will see where you can send that member a message. :)

#12 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Kelly :-) :happy2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users