• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I am new to your site and very lucky to be the owner of a Hermann tortoise, who was found on Good Friday this year in the roadside. I am also lucky enough to have the pleasure of living in Crete, Greece where the temperature certainly suits my little boy. My only problem is that most of the sites I research regarding keeping of tortoise refer to UK and therefore the temperatures are very different to here. I am wondering when my tortoise will hibernate as even in November now we are lucky to have daytime temperatures of 18 degrees, but the night is around 10. Therefore Jimmy has the luck of sunshine still to bask in. He has a house which is actually the underneath of the outside brick built barbecue, so it is draft free and dry for him and he goes there at night. At the moment he only has straw and dry hay in there to hide under, but reading your articles about tortoises who wish to burrow in earth when they hibernate I am wondering if I need to make a wood tray of earth for him to hide in. True our winters are unlike the UK and probably last winter (which was quite extreme) our lowest at night was around 5 deg and daytime 10-12. Will he still hibernate for 20 weeks I am wondering because there again in February/March the temperatures starts to increase. He is still eating, although I do find this a bit hit and miss sometimes! He liked nectarines in the summer, but no other fruit - no bananas that I read are popular with some tortoise. He loves dandelion and the small lettuce and various other greenery I find around me I test him on. Some days he will eat them, others not and if he has a week of lettuce he is clearly bored with that! When I was recently back in the UK I bought some dried tortoise food, as worried he would not get enough vitamins, but he took one bite of that and looked at me as if he had eaten a sow lemon! Not for my Greek boy! He is a clever little boy and seems to know my voice and also when the door is open, when he minces in the house and goes from each room and balcony. Very often he will have a snooze tilted up the wall in the sun. I just need to make sure he will be snug for the winter. He has his baths, as I have read that the system has to be emptied before hibernation. He doesnt seem to drink much water though. I find him a fascinating pet to have.

Attached Files

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi Patricia,
Welcome to the forum. It is great having a new member from such an exotic place. Crete is indeed ideal tort country so I don't think you will have much of a problem raising your tort to a ripe old age. Provided he has enough space and areas in which to dig and hide it should be a pretty natural life for him. With regard to hibernation he will slow down and ready himself when temperatures drop and in his own good time. I think it would be a good idea to provide deep areas of soft soil, preferably in a sheltered location, where he can bury himself if he wishes to hibernate. I would say his hibernation length will be a lot shorter than 20 weeks judging by the climate you live in but again that is fine and quite natural. Judging by the pic, i'm not too sure what exact species your tortoise is. Hopefully, someone will be along later who can help in this regard. For now I wish you the best of luck with your fine Greek fellow and I look forward to talking with you again soon. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum, Patricia. :)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Welcome to the forum Patricia.... X x x hugs x x

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

hi patricia :welcome: to the forum.

#6 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

hello and welcome to the forum :) your tort sounds like he's found a great mom to take care of him how lucky he is.
Jaynex

#7 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Welcome to the forum :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hermann tortoise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users