• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stanley the Tortoise

Stanley the Tortoise

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

At the beginning of this week we put Stanley in the conservatory, ready to hibernate using the box method. We have followed the advice given in my last post and have placed him on top of the soil so he could dig down. After a few days we checked him and he had not dug down so we made a dip in the soil and half covered him in wood chip. The next day instead of digging down he pulled himself out and is now sitting on the top again. Will he be ok? I thought they needed to dig down so they stayed warm. Can any one give any advice? I don't want him to freeze!

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I shouldn't worry too much at the moment..... it can take a couple of weeks for them to fully settle into hibernation. :)

As long as your temperature do not drop below 0oc.... there will be no risk of him freezing. ;)

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Hi There,
I agree with Kelly. As long as temps don't drop to 0C Stanley should be fine. Tortoises don't always dig down when hibernating. My own tortoise who I have been hibernating for the past 30 years sits on top of the soil in her hibernation box.
Just make sure temps stay between 1C - 8C in your conservatory. Should you have any further questions or queries please feel free to ask.
Take care
Freddy

#4 Stanley the Tortoise

Stanley the Tortoise

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Thank you so much! I am glad I found this website, you are all so kind

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hello,
I totally agree with Kelly and Freddy. I have a number of tortoises and all seem to have approached hibernation in their individual way. By the end of September I was struggling to keep a couple up and they dug themselves in and there they remain. The rest, well, I think the clue they were getting ready to rest was their lack of movement and mine poked their noses into a corner for hours on end, and as the days passed they slowly scraped away at the soil and disappeared. However, I have two who decided that they will just not bother digging in and haven't moved from their spot for about a month now, so I was presuming that they were not going to bother digging in. Well this very cold snap of weather has motivated Chloe to begin to dig and this morning she is nearly totally buried. Boy Pebble though is still on top of the soil. I think what we have to bear in mind is that there is more going on than the cold weather that motivates Tortoises to hibernate and they are all very different. x x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users