• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Jimmy loved his new taste of avocado so much he decided to wear it.

Attached Files

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

ha!ha! :laugh: That's funny, Patricia. Greedy little munchkin! :rofl:
Freddy :D

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Lovely pic, Patricia, but is that really avocado Jimmy's eating? If so, he shouldn't be fed it, really, it can be toxic.
Have a look at this link:
http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=703

#4 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Oops! Oh well he has had his chocolate now. He only had about a tablespoon scoop as I wanted to see if he liked it - which he did! I wont let him have it again now. Thanks for the info. Just wondering, if they are not supposed to eat it, why did he? That might sound stupid, but he can be quite picky sometimes with local weeds I collect in for him. At the moment his passion is lily leaves which are quite abundant around where I live. If he doesnt like a weed, he simply wont look at it. He likes fresh vine leaves too and there is a purple flower on a creeper he is partial too. Now the winter is coming there seems to be an abundance of choice at the moment for him. Favourite is always the dandelion and flowers. Thought he might like courgette flowers, but no. Basically I try to bring him weeds that he would find if he was wild.

#5 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Actually thanks a lot for that site you referred me to, as now I have seen that the lily leaves he likes are also potentially dangerous. Seems I am going to have to check on this site my daily weed collections. He loves those big lily leaves as well. Right - banned from now on and lucky he has only been having say one a day for the past week. Glad I posted my photo now or you wouldnt have responded to me. Great help.

#6 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

One of the problems with torts, Patricia, is that they very often eat foods that are potentially very harmful. Some plants have a bitter taste, so they are unpalatable to tortoises, but, unfortunately, they appear to like some that are very poisonous.
That link I posted earlier is an invaluable source of information regarding food for torts, and it's always worth checking before feeding them anything.
Glad to have been of help to you.

#7 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hi Patricia,
I'm not too sure what edible plants are native to Crete but wild hibiscus is always a good bet. http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=711 :)
Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#8 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Right under my balcony to be honest! Never thought to give him those. Oh tomorrow's breakfast is gonna be so colourful for him! We have unusually mild weather at the moment (daytime still 20 deg) and he is loving it big time, stretching his little neck out and sunbathing. Oh the life of a Greek boy .....!

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Well spotted Freddy, the only one to notice Patricia was in Crete. :) You lucky thing Patricia :sun: Where in Crete are you?

#10 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I suppose it can still be tricky choosing the right foods for a tortoise even in its country of origin.
Especially if it is kept in captive surroundings were the choice of edible plants is limited or little known.
Perhaps a trip to the torts wilder habitat might be useful.
Native plants and weeds could be studied there and perhaps transplanted into the captive environment.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#11 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

Oh I do constantly bring him a selection. Where I live I am surrounded by fields and wild weeds etc, so when I go for a walk I always pick up something for him as If he was rooting around himself he would find these. I found out only last week that he is in fact a marginated tortoise that originates from Peleponese Islands and were native in Crete some 2000 years ago. For some reason they have been found of late in Crete, so somebody clearly brought them over. Dont think there are so many females though for some reason. I think he was a lucky find to be honest.

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hi Patricia,
You seem to be doing a great job with your Greek chappie! I think it is important to identify plants and weeds first to make sure they are edible before offering them to a tortoise. Although some plant guides can be useful many do not include species native to a torts natural habitat which can be a problem for owners such as yourself who sometimes have to rely on trial and error. However, it is also true that most wild tortoises can distinguish between plants that are good or bad for them. My own tortoise is a wild caught specimen and she can definitely tell the difference. Tortoises do tend to sometimes eat small amounts of toxic plants as a form of self medication when they have ailments or deficiencies and this does them no harm.
It is great that you have identified the species of your tortoise. I wish you the best of luck with him and feel sure he has a great future ahead with you as his owner. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users