• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Im going to pick up my new tort next week I have chosen one which is the smallest from the other three is this wise? The other have she'll damage and ones beak is cracked an this looked the best but is it, I just wondered because of it being the smallest an them all being the same age was it not a healthy weight?

Any advice would be great?!

Thanks Jay

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi Jay,
Sounds like these tortoises are not in good condition. :( Personally, I would try another breeder. ;)
Freddy

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I agree with Freddy.... healthy tortoises will be active, eat well, bright eyed and hold themselves high up on their legs. The fact that one has shell damage and the other a beak deformity could be signs of major underlying problems due to bad diet and general husbandry.

I too would steer well clear. :( How old are they? How are they being kept at the moment?

#4 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

They are two years old and kept in a large tort table, there are some more to choose from il keep you guys informed!

Thanks Jay

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I agree with the others, a breeder should never sell a damaged tortoise - maybe they are not actually a breeder but a dealer :( Size is not a lot to worry about but what size are you talking? If you are talking half the size of the others then be wary. What do they weigh and does the breeder have the papers in their name, with UK as country of origin on it?
I know of one breeder who shall remain nameless, who was on several recommended lists, but the conditions the babies were being kept in were horrendous. Luckily someone let me know, so I removed them from the Tortsmad list. Very often people are scared of mentioning it though, which is understandable as they do not want to get involved. Everything that is said to me is in confidence, as I would like to be sure all of the recommended breeders are worth using.
Hope this helps

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

morning jay i agree with everyone else i would,nt rush to get your new tortoises even though i know you car,nt wait :)
take your time to find the right breeder then you know the torts your getting will be healthy have you had a look on sues list to see if theres any one close to you http://www.tortsmad.com/breeders.htm

#7 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hi Jay, What area of the country are you in ???

Clairybelle

#8 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Near Birmingham :)

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Oh just think, you could have had a Jersey baby haha. Several have gone to Birmingham area. :lol:

#10 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

What is a Jersey baby ???????? lol

I was not being nosy Jay but was wondering if you were anywhere near me in the south east corner :-)

#11 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I was not being nosy Jay but was wondering if you were anywhere near me in the south east corner :-)

Near Birmingham :) il get some pics uploaded tomorrow hopefully I've been so busy also guys is their poo supposed to be quite solid and a darkish brown looks a bit like a rabbit dropping but more oval!?? :blink:

Thanks Jay

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

They are the babies from the Jersey Tortoise Sanctuary that I have here to sell for my friend. They are under strict licence from DEFRA and are £100 each or two for £150 (plug plug lol)

#13 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

Ok thanks Ozric, I've got him booked into the vets for this Wednesday for a check up anyway :) il upload some pics later :D

#14 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

The Jersey babies sound fab, I do hope to get a 2nd one some time, probably be next year :-)

Sue, how many torts/babies do you have (including those you care for on behalf of others) ?

My baby just wants to sleep :-( x x x

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

There are 11 of mine from this year here and 30 of the Jersey ones. The big ones are all asleep now and the babies will be in by Christmas :)

#16 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

In my torts hide is it a good idea having fake plastic hibiscus leaves? He likes to hide under them and sleeps underneath them and slightly burrows, but not much, should he be burrowing down into the soil and sand at night? The temps are perfect and at night it drops down to about 15 degrees.

Thanks again,

Jay

#17 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Sounds like your doing a good job, I am struggling with temperatures here. We moved this year and I can not believe how cold my home is. Lots of draughts, I have put him in the best spot possible but he just wants to sleep and is now not eating. :-( I don't usually feel the cold, but it is sooo bad at the moment. I have even been tempted to use a "viv". He must be sooo confused. I have just weighed him and he weighs 15 grams and I cant find the piece of paper with his previous weight on it :-( :-( :-( Is this an average weight for a 4/5 month old ??????

#18 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Claire, that is the size of a hatchling shortly after hatching :( Tortoises of this size should never be sold. The ones I have here of my own are coming up to thirty grams and won't be sold until next year. The Jersey ones are 80-90 grams which I feel is far more acceptable. Can you not remember what weight he was before as if he has lost weight, that is not good. Sorry to be so negative, but I feel it's quite important to know the weights.

#19 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Also is it bad that I have to wake up my hermann every morning before work? I put him straight under the heat lamp to warm up and he then basks for a while and eats shortly after but he is not eating much too is this normal at this time of the year? He also tends to go to bed early at about 6/7 but his lamps and heaters are on until 8 ish is this okay?

Thanks Jay

#20 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Yep Sue, he is tiny and I think he has lost around a gram. Huey my son has moved the pad, I will keep it all electronically now. He was slightly smaller than the others in the clutch. I now know he should not of been sold to me this young/tiny. I am very worried about him, and doing my best to keep the ambient temperatures up. I have looked at the Jackson Hatchling scale and he is slightly underweight. He has always eaten well until the last few days.

I will take him to a vets for a check up, and I will weigh him daily. I can contact the breeder but sadly I don't think I am going to have any luck/advice there.

To now I have followed all of the advice that you have given and happy for any "honest" advice to make sure he is ok. I am happy for you to email/private message me if you would prefer x x x x x x x x

:-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users