• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thank you Ozric, This is what I was thinking (about a viv) just using it more as a measure to keep him warm. We moved here earlier on in the year so it is our first winter and obviously when I purchased my tort (As a newbie) I never thought about temperatures, I was just old a plastic box with a heat and uv bulb and to have a warm end and cold end. Should I remove some of the soil in the mean time to stop him burrowing down ? He just wants to go down and sleep. If I didnt wake him he would just stay there...

Sorry Jay for hi jacking your thread.

Thank you everyone

Claire xxx

#22 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Haha no problem Claire! Any discussions help and some bits of advice are picked up along the way! :D

#23 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Also is it bad that I have to wake up my hermann every morning before work? I put him straight under the heat lamp to warm up and he then basks for a while and eats shortly after but he is not eating much too is this normal at this time of the year? He also tends to go to bed early at about 6/7 but his lamps and heaters are on until 8 ish is this okay?

Thanks Jay

Depending on what time you put the lamps on, it sounds as though you are providing a 12 hour day, whcih we don't get at this time of year and the tortoise knows this. You need to keep it where it gets lots of natural light as well as artifcial light for stimulation, but they cannot be fooled into thinking it's a perpetual summer. It's not a good time of year to start off tort keeping to be honest, especially with very tiny ones.

#24 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Depending on what time you put the lamps on, it sounds as though you are providing a 12 hour day, whcih we don't get at this time of year and the tortoise knows this. You need to keep it where it gets lots of natural light as well as artifcial light for stimulation, but they cannot be fooled into thinking it's a perpetual summer. It's not a good time of year to start off tort keeping to be honest, especially with very tiny ones.

I've got it set at 14 hours is this okay I've set them to come on at 7am? And there's about 3 windows which allow natural light in, which I think is good, also he doesn't seem to want to eat much but he has baths everyday for 15-20 minutes passes urine etc perfectly!

Thanks Jay

#25 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

I think a full spectrum of light is as equally important for those being overwintered as getting the temperatures spot on at this time of year.

I found that due to the size of my tortoise table and the nights drawing in, last year my juvenile slowed down and slept a great deal. As soon as I added an extra light to the darker end of the table and used a full spectrum tube rather than one that just emitted UVB, he started to become more active.

I've had no problems with keeping my hatchling active this year as a result.... If anything, I've had to slow her down by cutting the lighting and heating every other day, to stop her growing too quickly over the winter months!!! :laugh:

#26 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I use a reptiglo 10 that's 24 inches, is that good enough or what light would I need I noticed this morning he never ate any food either he just sniffed around at it and I even give him a bit of tomato as a treat and he still wasn't interested!

Thanks Jay

#27 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

I've got it set at 14 hours is this okay I've set them to come on at 7am? And there's about 3 windows which allow natural light in, which I think is good, also he doesn't seem to want to eat much but he has baths everyday for 15-20 minutes passes urine etc perfectly!

Thanks Jay

The thing is that tortoises not only react to light but to barometric pressure, which means that at this time of year, they just know, it is time to be hibernating, so will slow down naturally no matter what you do. It's very well documented that the levels of light have a lot to do with activity too, a bit like some humans. I for one hate winter and do have a much better mood when levels of light are higher. The qulaity of uvb is not so important here as actual light being emitted. I've tested this and found no difference between using an old (no longer useful for uvb) tube and a new one with high levels of uvb. It's the feel good factor produced by bright light that stimulates them. If you have an all in one lamp, then the habitat will not be so bright elsewhere, so will be worth running a fluorescent tube along the whole enclosure too for winter use,

#28 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

I think a full spectrum of light is as equally important for those being overwintered as getting the temperatures spot on at this time of year.

I found that due to the size of my tortoise table and the nights drawing in, last year my juvenile slowed down and slept a great deal. As soon as I added an extra light to the darker end of the table and used a full spectrum tube rather than one that just emitted UVB, he started to become more active.

I've had no problems with keeping my hatchling active this year as a result.... If anything, I've had to slow her down by cutting the lighting and heating every other day, to stop her growing too quickly over the winter months!!! :laugh:

The upside of this winter behaviour is that it DOES slow growth which is beneficial. There are some sad cases out there of tortoises that have grown excessively and are breeding at a few years old, with the associated problems that go with this :(

#29 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

The thing is that tortoises not only react to light but to barometric pressure, which means that at this time of year, they just know, it is time to be hibernating, so will slow down naturally no matter what you do. It's very well documented that the levels of light have a lot to do with activity too, a bit like some humans. I for one hate winter and do have a much better mood when levels of light are higher. The qulaity of uvb is not so important here as actual light being emitted. I've tested this and found no difference between using an old (no longer useful for uvb) tube and a new one with high levels of uvb. It's the feel good factor produced by bright light that stimulates them. If you have an all in one lamp, then the habitat will not be so bright elsewhere, so will be worth running a fluorescent tube along the whole enclosure too for winter use,

Thanks for the advice, also in a morning I wake him and put him under the heat lamp to wake him up is this okay or should I leave him to wake up on his own? I'm just worried he won't get up.

Thanks,

Jay

#30 Claireybelle

Claireybelle

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Good advice guys and I alone will put another heat lamp at the other end off my table, he has a dark area which he never uses at the moment so there will still be an option for him to have a cool area, but I doubt he will use this. He just burrows deep down. I will remove some soil so it is not to deep and hopefully this will help until I can get a temporary VIV.

Sue, you are spot on that winter is not a good time for new tortoise owners. I am getting more and more frustrated by the day that I was told it would be easy to care for a baby. As a newbie, and what I know now I am aware that I could potentially have a dead tort, which would be devastating especially over christmas.

Im feeling very useless at the moment. I can only do my best and I just hope that it is enough for munchkin.

Lots of Love and thanks

Clairey x x x x

#31 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Would you guys reccomend a reptiglow 2.0 as well as the 10.0 that I have then?

Thanks Jay

#32 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

Would you guys reccomend a reptiglow 2.0 as well as the 10.0 that I have then?

Thanks Jay

I used to use the Reptiglo's.... but I found that ther Arcadia's are much better and you have loads more to chose from that omit the UVA and UVB. The D3 bulbs, T5's and the new Desert bulbs are great and cheaper too. I get mine form Surrey Pet Supplies. They normally delivery within a couple of days. x

#33 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Yep Sue, he is tiny and I think he has lost around a gram. Huey my son has moved the pad, I will keep it all electronically now. He was slightly smaller than the others in the clutch. I now know he should not of been sold to me this young/tiny. I am very worried about him, and doing my best to keep the ambient temperatures up. I have looked at the Jackson Hatchling scale and he is slightly underweight. He has always eaten well until the last few days.

I will take him to a vets for a check up, and I will weigh him daily. I can contact the breeder but sadly I don't think I am going to have any luck/advice there.

To now I have followed all of the advice that you have given and happy for any "honest" advice to make sure he is ok. I am happy for you to email/private message me if you would prefer x x x x x x x x

:-(

Don't worry about the Jackson ratio Claire, it was never intended to be used for such tiny ones. a vet will not be able to do anything for such a tiny baby and most are not all that geared to husbandry, but dare I suggest viv accomodation? I know, I know it goes against everything you have been told, but will equate to an incubator for one so small. Give me a shout on wizzasmum@aol.com if you like - happy to talk you through what to do ;) I remember now, where he was from - sorry had a senior moment for a while,.

#34 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I used to use the Reptiglo's.... but I found that ther Arcadia's are much better and you have loads more to chose from that omit the UVA and UVB. The D3 bulbs, T5's and the new Desert bulbs are great and cheaper too. I get mine form Surrey Pet Supplies. They normally delivery within a couple of days. x

Hi is this the reason he won't eat as much now? I have a reptiglo 10.0 and a zoo med 100w basking bulb so should I have something like the reptiglo 2.0 to encourage eating etc? I'm confused again now, what options do I have that will work out best and what set ups for both etc?

Thanks Jay

#35 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hi is this the reason he won't eat as much now? I have a reptiglo 10.0 and a zoo med 100w basking bulb so should I have something like the reptiglo 2.0 to encourage eating etc? I'm confused again now, what options do I have that will work out best and what set ups for both etc?

Thanks Jay

You can just add any bright light, it does not have to be a reptile one if you are just looking for more high level light. A normal fluorescent will do the trick, it's just for the feel good factor, not more uv.

#36 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

You can just add any bright light, it does not have to be a reptile one if you are just looking for more high level light. A normal fluorescent will do the trick, it's just for the feel good factor, not more uv.

Thats brilliant thanks Sue!

Jay :)

#37 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thats brilliant thanks Sue!

Jay :)

No problem, I think I was a tortoise in a previous life as also like to be surrounded by bright lights in winter. Come summer, I'm fine lol

#38 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

No problem, I think I was a tortoise in a previous life as also like to be surrounded by bright lights in winter. Come summer, I'm fine lol

HAHA :D

So if i get a bright strip light or reptiglo 2.0 with a reflector used with my reptiglo 10.0 with its reflector then my zoomed 100w basking lamp at one end will this be okay for my 2 year old or will there be too many lights etc going on haha?

Thanks for all the advice it really helps!

Jay

#39 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Just read this: http://www.zoomed.co...3M6MToiMCI7fQ==

this is the basking bulb i have in the exo terra glo light fixture used with a dimmerstat with the temp set at 32 degrees, it says it emits UVA to promote feeding and breeding so would i still need the extra UVA light (reptiglo 2.0) or would this basking lamp and the reptiglo 10.0 uvb light i have be beneficial? (The dimmerstat makes the bulb go brighter and dimmer obviously so this will effect the amount of UVA emitted right?)

Sorry about all the questions i just want the best for the lil' guy :)

#40 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

That would do fine, but as mentioned before, you do not need the dimmer, in fact that could be half the problem. You need lots of bright light, not dimmed light, even a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users