Worm Testing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

You can get your tort tested for worms for £6.50: http://www.wormcount.com/. Your tortoise is most likely to have worms if it is bought from a pet shop and therefore wild imported, than if bought from a reputable British breeder. The customer service is wonderful, I highly recommend them. You should never put aggressive worming products into a tortoise unless you know it definitely has a lot of worms. This cuts out the need for paying a vet a lot more for a test. They test for Oxyurids, Ascarids and Protozoans.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

ive read a lot of people are using this at the min they seem really good :)

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Chris. Excellent link. :thumbup:

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Great link, Chris. :) Thanks for sharing. ;)
Freddy :D

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I used this site to check Hazel for worms. Brilliant service. They sent the results via email to me within 2 days of me actually posting the package off!! :thumbup:

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Got Norman's worm test results back today after his hibernation..... he's got the all clear too. :thumbup:

Attached File  Norman's Results.JPG   19.55KB   2 downloads

#7 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

They really do offer exceptional  service don't they? Our  Rufus got the all clear some months ago.  :)

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

.... and really quick too. Hazels was back the next day! :blink2: I posted Norman's on Saturday and I had his results yesterday. :)

#9 misspbluedeva

misspbluedeva

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my little Pebble, 2yr old Testudo Hermanni

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for this post, It has been a great help.  :D

After having my little Pebble for a month i ordered my kit,  then after Pebble doing stealth poos for a couple of days by burying it in his top soil,  i managed to get the samples in the post.

I got the results the next day!!! :P

They advised no treatment and to have it retaken in 3 months as they was a tiny count of 20epg-Oxyurids, 20epg-tachygonetria, 20epg-ascarids, 0-tapeworms, 0-Protozoans. So i will make sure to repeat my worm count in feb.

I have to say their service has been fantastic and i will be using them in future to keep Pebble healthy.

Thank you  :)

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

I don't want to put a downer on any particular service, but earlier this year a lady who bought a couple of torts from me had their poop tested and said it came back positive. This was a bit odd as they had never been outside. I decided to send a sample of one of my own that had not been wormed for over twelve months - it came back negative. I tested her myself and yes, had to worm her. Not sure if samples had got muddled or if a different type of test was used, but it left me a bit puzzled :/

#11 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hi all,

im going to buy this kit on Friday and just wanted to ask a few questions:

Im out all day at work and she tends to do her toilet habits during the day so by the time i get home it has been there a couple of hours - is this still ok to use as a sample? Or does it need to be fresh?

Also her poo does tend to get the substrate soil in it as well because she poo's straight onto it - is this going to be a problem when they test it?

Thank you!

Nic

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

The soil is no problem and if a flotation sample, then it doesn't matter if it's been hanging around for a day. You can usually get a good fresh poo sample by soaking for a while in warm water.

#13 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Hi Sue,

Great thank you! I have ordered the worming kit today so hopefully it will  be here by the weekend and I can get a fresh one while shes in the bath!

Thanks again,

nic

#14 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Queenie's worm count came back completely clear today! Very happy!

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'd be a bit worried about a completely clear result - they all carry some parasites, so there should be a low, medium or high result ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users