5 replies to this topic

#1 forgery

forgery

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi All,

I'm considering how we may build a temporary house for our little tort should we go away for a night and we can bring him with us. We have a little 2-3 month old hermann and would like to stay at my mothers house and Christmas eve and for Xmas Day. I've kept hold of a large cardboard box which would give him enough space to live in for a short amount of time, we'd be able to get him out plenty too. I can layer this box with bark and sand for him.

I was considering getting a UV lamp, something like the Hagen-Terra-Solar-Simulating-Lamp on amazon and attaching it to the box with a clip like http://www.amazon.co...55091182&sr=8-5

It seems to replicate what he has in his normal home but would be light weight and transportable.

What do people think, what else do people do with this issue for little torts?

Thank you for any advice

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

My only concern with cardboard would be using the heat lamp with it...... combustable materials + heat = fire!
(My partners a fireman, so I'm always getting lectured about heat lamp safety, as he goes to so many fires caused by reptile lighting).

#3 forgery

forgery

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi Kelly,

I did consider we could use a plastic container, I do have a rather large plastic box we could use. I'm assuming by your response that other than the fire hazard consideration, it seems like an idea to go for?

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Cardboard would also go all soggy if you're misting the substrate to keep it damp, so I'd say that plastic is probably a better option. Just ensure that your substrate is deep enough so that the heat can't penetrate deep enough to the base to cause a problem with melting plastic.

Personally I'd consider using topsoil too, instead of the bark, as this can habour mould spores which can contribute to respiratory problems..... Plus your little tort can dig down into it to avoid dehydration. ;)

Many people use plastic indoor rabbit hutches as inclosures for hatchlings without a problem, so I'd say that should be fine while he's off on his Christmas holidays. :)

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hello
underbed plastic storage containers are also suitable and are not heavy,i use one of these for my hatchlings and it works great.
Jaynex

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

morning forgery do you not have a family member or friend that could look after the tort by just turning the lights etc on and off and feeding on the day that your away i think it would be less stressfull for your tort to leave him in his table with someone checking him than change him into a temp set up then back to his own table again when you get back :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users