• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi in need of advise, tortoise has been in hibernation for 2 weeks, the temp has been under 10c, but to day noticed it has gone up to 13 when I checked him he is awake and has moved around, so really not sure what to do now. Jill

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

As long as he hasn't urinated or lost any weight, I'd lower the temps and see if he re-settles again.

#3 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

ok thanks I will try that, god never thought hibernation would be so hard and worrying :(

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi Jill,
I agree with Kelly and Ozric. It is important that you keep temperatures stable and check that your tortoise hasn't urinated as he could quickly dehydrate.
Sometimes temps can drift outside the appropriate range (1C-8C) when using the box method. If this happens for any length it is usually best to move a torts hibernation box to a cooler or milder location as the case may be.
However, if the temp change occurred in your fridge shortly after your tort had been put into hibernation he should settle back down soon provided the temperature change is only a temporary one and you lower things. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 littlejill

littlejill

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hi I am using the box method and he was in my porch and as we had had very cold weather the last few weeks it was ok but now the weather has warmed up again the temp began to rise, so I have now put him in the shed and hope this will be cooler, if temp drops again I will move him back in to porch. As far as I can see he has not been a wee and although his eyes are still open and his head is out he is not moving around, just hope he is ok. Next year I will get him a fridge as it sounds like the best way of hibernating him.
Thanks everyone.

#6 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

My 2 are also outside and I have had to turn their background heating off over the past few days as it was getting up to 10 degrees because of the milder weather and the new insulation I have put in there!

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users