Photo

White Gunk Whilst Having Bath, Eating And Sleeping?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi there guys I've got a two year old Hermanns tortoise and when he goes to do his business whilst having a bath usually he has a poo & a whitey creamy stuff comes out too I know this is normal but this time and last time it was very very thick more like an egg type substance is this normal as it was quite thick and congealed?

Also he doesn't seem to be eating much rarely anything should I be worried about this? He just wants to go to sleep after his bath although he tries to eat a bit if I hand feed him, he also doesn't wake up on his own at all! I wake him in a morning before work but then he just goes back to bed I guess after a good bask!

Thanks guys I didn't know if this was posted in the right place because I guess wee/poo etc is health related!?

Thanks Jay

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi Jay,
It is quite normal for a tortoise to pass this creamy white substance which is known as urates.
With regard to eating , it will probably take a while for your new tortoise to settle in and begin to eat fully.
Also, it must be remembered that tortoises slow down a little this time of year and don't eat as much.
You will probably need to be patient with him until he adjusts to his new surroundings. Hope this helps.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Okay brilliant I've had him just over a week so I guess your right thanks for the advice! :D

Jay

#4 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hello Jay
urates are normal when they are smooth looking like toothpaste but if you see them looking gritty then just increase the baths and hopefully will drink more its a sign of dehydration,it can take a tort a while to get used to its new surroundings and also this time of year does not help as they tend to slow down a little even when they dont hibernate,i notice your address is the west midlands,where about are you?
Jayne

#5 TortoiseJay

TortoiseJay

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hello Jay
urates are normal when they are smooth looking like toothpaste but if you see them looking gritty then just increase the baths and hopefully will drink more its a sign of dehydration,it can take a tort a while to get used to its new surroundings and also this time of year does not help as they tend to slow down a little even when they dont hibernate,i notice your address is the west midlands,where about are you?
Jayne

That's the perfect description it's like toothpaste in water haha! Yes he has one or even two baths a day for 20 minutes :D and I'm near Stourbridge what about yourself?

Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users