• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

How can I get my little man interested in drinking water? I get so worried he will hibernate without any inside him. Having read your forum I have been giving regular warm baths for him, but he knows I am watching and makes no attempt to drink. I have hidden myself from his view, but he almost does a backtrack down the bath so he is out of the water. I am so worried he will hibernate and dehydrate, but it doesnt seem to bother him as he is so alert and inquisitive. Also I got him a tortoise mix when I visited the UK (we live in Crete) and he is not interested one bit. I am going to try him on cuttlefish once I find it in the shops. He eats well enough otherwise and shows no sign of any sickness - eyes, etc. He doesnt poo or wee in the bath like other people say theirs do either. Quite a little gentleman in fact! As we still get sunshine he is still enjoying basking and if it is a cool day he will stay in his bed, but then come on out again when it gets warmer. Other than making him drink, any suggestions? I noticed even in the summer, when it was really hot, he wasnt one for drinking, as I purposely used to leave a puddle for him to lay in.

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Patricia your lucky tort has a much more natural environment than the torts belonging to most of the members on here. :sun: I really wouldn't worry too much. I doubt that he will let himself dehydrate, you make water available to him at all times, so if he needs it, he will drink, I wouldn't worry. He will get some water from his food, morning dew, rain and other things, he also probably drinks when you are not looking :giggle:

I won't worry about any kinds of tortoise 'mix' just good old Greek weeds will be the most natural & healthiest diet for him.

Our tort is is 14 months old and has never ever pooed in his bath since he has been with us, so water doesn't seem to act as a stimulant to them all ;)

We used to have another forum member who posted on here who had a tortoise living on her balcony on the mainland. I think from what she said, that it is actually against the law to keep tortoises as pets in Greece as they are considered wild animals that should not be kept captive, you may want to check that out. She emigrated to America and gave her tortoise to a zoo.

If your tort is alert and inquisitive he must have all the care he needs :)

Off topic I know :rolleyes: but where in Crete do you live? I once spent quite a few happy summers living & working there, it's a wonderful island. :sun:

#3 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Didnt know about not keeping as pets, but hey this is Crete so there is always a way round that one! He is a visitor eh?

I live just outside Heraklion in a place called Kokkini Hani, but this little man was found wandering along the road near Knossos on Good Friday, so all the Greeks say this is a good luck omen. A friend of mine just plonked him on the front of his scooter and brought him to me to look after and the rest is a learning curve. He has so much freedom and hears the wooden balcony doors open and that is it, he is on a mission then to get to the bedroom balcony and catch the morning sun. Intelligent little creature, as he clonks around the bed out of the door! For sure he knows my voice and he knows his way around. Come sundown and he pops in his little bed area convenient under the stone barbecue, except recently I found one of the local cats sharing the straw grass with him. He looked a bit put out with that one.

Ok, merry Xmas to all

#4 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

He sounds delightful, I know Kokkini Hani from my holiday rep days, is there still a bar there called Khalua? :sun:

#5 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Small world eh! No bar of that name now. To be honest it is now getting like a ghost town there. Not even a souvlaki place in the winter that is open! Many of the big UK operators dont even use the hotels along there now, which is a shame. Tends to be more French/Russian and on All Inclusive. Tourists tend to be more in Gouves/Hersonissos, but Gouves is sliding down the same road now unfortunately. Sad to see and of course the economy is shot to bits as you have probably read. I feel it will only get worse too ... but they cant take the sun away!

#6 Patricia

Patricia

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Caught him! We had a spot of rain over a week ago and the water had lain on the balcony for some reason. Spotted him with the head down and bubbles popping in the puddle and for quite a bit he was there drinking. So happy to see him doing this as really paranoid with the hibernation/dehydration side, even though weather is still so mild. Maybe he just doesnt like the taste of the water here - we dont drink it after all and have to buy bottled. Going to have to collect the rain water now when it comes, which of course in summer is a bit tricky. Just found out too that my Jimmy is a marginated tortoise and they were originally in Crete over 2000 years ago, so I have saved a special boy by the look of things.

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha .... What a brill outcome. You have a special boy and have sneeked a peek of his drinking habits. I have never seen any of mine drinking. And have heard their sense when being watched... Survival instincts..., if they think predictors are watching then they don't drink x x x hugs x x

#8 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Totally agree, Stella and Ozric; I'm quite convinced that due to natural survival instincts, torts don't do too much when they're being watched. I'm sure they can sense our presence, and only drink when they're sure they're not being watched.

Ever noticed they only disappear when we're not looking? :laugh:
Crafty little monkeys :lol:

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Cats are the same, they will drink water from the toilet, a puddle, anywhere in fact except their bowl. In England I I expect it is the chlorine animals don't like.

Why don't you drink the tap water Patricia? I drank gallons of it during my stay in Crete, why would I waste money on water when I could save it for alcohol? :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users