Hibernation Panic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SuziRed71

SuziRed71

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Anything Tortoise, gardening, walking keeping fit.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Hello all. I am very worried about one of Torts who has been in hibernation in the fridge for 8 days now. I weighed him yesterday (1 week exactly fro when he went in) and he had gone from 336 to 317 grams where as most of my others lost no weight at all. What has actually alarmed me is that his eyes are open and he seems quite alert and today when I checked him he has pooed and still seems alert. The temps are at 3to 5 degrees . Wind down was followed to the letter. I hibernated him in exactly the same way last year and he did not behave in such a way at all. One of my others who is on her first hibernation rather than her second has her eyes open and is moving in her box but has lost no weight at all. Looking forward to help as I am really concerned thanks Suzi

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'm no expert, Suzi, but I don't think you've got too much to worry about at this early stage. I can take a fortnight sometimes for torts to totally settle into hibernation; the weight loss is probably due to the fact that he's not settled yet, and is using up more energy getting himself ready for his sleep.
This is only my opinion based on what I've seen and learnt; no doubt one of our more experienced members will advise you a bit better that I can.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

hi suzi i agree with graham they can take some time to settle into hibernation two of mine were the same for the first week and lost some weight but they soon settled and their weights have now stayed the same :)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hello Suzi, I do not use this method of hibernation for my torts so am in no real position to advise. However, I would suggest the majority of weight loss is probably caused by your tort having a poo. Hope all goes well x x x hugs x.

#5 SuziRed71

SuziRed71

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thanks guys for your comments. I decided to pull the plug on Murtles hibernation late last night and went to bed when he had taken his first meal.. I still have 4 left in the fridge and things are going well. My other tort with its eyes open has settled down better now after changing the position in the fridge..I had to trust my gut feeling and it said to warm him up and over winter him.. Thanks again xx

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

I agree with Ozric...,I like to think of torts 'resting' as opposed to sleeping. My torts hibernate as natural as possible, in which they snug themselves down in regulated indoor accommodation. This year I have one 'resting' above ground with his eyes closed. The others dug down anytime beginning the end of September. But before this happened they slowed down and remained inactive with their eyes open for a number of weeks x x

#7 SuziRed71

SuziRed71

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Thank you'll so much for your support as always...very much appreciated...
My Torts live in a purpose built outdoor enclosure when they are awake and it occurred to me that maybe hibernation in their enclosure may be preferable next winter rather than the fridge...I feel it may be more natural for them.... My question is how are the actual mechanics of this method managed? My main thought is the potential for mild winters in the uk..how does this affect things?
My Tort House has a tubular heater on a thermostat so I can stop the temps from going below, say 5 degrees for example but how do you deal with warmer temps or is it not an issue? All experience very welcome. Thank you for your time
Suzi x

#8 SuziRed71

SuziRed71

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

This is definatly food for thought..I think I like and feel comfortable with the amount of control we have with temps in the fridge method.. My other 4 are doing beautifully now and their weights are completely stable too, not 1 Gram lost by anyone which I am over the moon about.. Last year I used shredded paper and this year I have used soil... So that is clearly cut out the dehydrating effect that paper has which I didn't realise about previously.. I'm looking forward to everyone being awake again so my tort family are all together once more. Hopefully we will have the patter of tiny tort feet in the spring with the twin eggs that are sitting in my incubator :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users