• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well this mild weather is playing havoc with my planned natural hibernation!!

Fifi has now lost more than 10% so made the decision to switch on the lamp and give her a bath this morning.

I was really hoping that all would be okay. I am thinking of bringing Marley in and putting her in the fridge to settle her down. It will be one less to worry about during the winter in case it turns cold!

Pat

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

We all worry about our torts, how are Fifi and Marley doing now, is Fifi still up and has Marley settled in the fridge?

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

the weather has been mild this year did you bring marley in :)
ive always used a fridge for mine but thought i was going to have a problem yesterday as we had a powercut it only lasted 2 hours so all was ok in the end, as the temps did,nt go up to much :)

#4 Patp

Patp

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Yes Marley is now sound asleep in the fridge - Fifi is in her table and eating everything in sight! She has put on 4g in as many days so fingers crossed x

Her breeder thinks that she is very small for her age but I am not sure what else I can do? They have been bought up in the same environment and conditions but a third of the size of Marley.

Pat

#5 Kay

Kay

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hi Pat, what size and weight is the tort? Have you had a Poo test done? Sorry for the questions... :unsure2:

#6 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hello Pat
I'm hibernating mine outside and the temps last week were 9c,i have been worried,i have done one check on H and Humpty but cannot get to Becky,there weights were okay so leaving them in a bit longer as temps now have come down in there house to 5c,i bet your glad Fifi is awake,is she okay and eating well,nothing goes to plan with natural hibernation,two years ago it was that cold that my alarms kept going off and i was having to put heat in there house to get it to 5c,that was a worrying hibernation year,when i did the fridge method when i first had H i had a power cut for ages and had to fetch him out early.Hope all goes well for you.
Jaynex

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

It is a bit nervy with the natural hibernation. Mine are out for the first year and luckily all is going well. Even when the temps seem a bit high in the Lodge, the undersoil temps are much lower. I can't get to mine as they are well dug in, and as there is no movement, I am hoping all is well.

The heater automatically comes on when the temp dips below 5 degrees. X x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users